Cat Introductions Went Awry

beeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

So, I recently moved into a house that has two cats and brought in my own (Beeper). My cat is currently confined to two rooms in the corner and the corner is blocked off by a sliding wall. We've been slowly introducing him to one of the other cats in the house (let's call her Betsy) and it seems to be going well. They touch noses and generally tolerate each other during supervised visits.

The other cat (Bob) is another story. He's highly sensitive to change and is prone to aggression redirection, in addition to spraying everywhere. He's on an antidepressant, in addition to some CBD oil. He does have a tendency to get crystals when he's stressed as well. And just as a cherry on top, he was abused by his previous owners, which makes a lot of things harder.

I had previously done some scent swapping with Beeper's blanket and Bob had handled it well. Until Bob started growling and hissing at me and stalking me.

It turns out that my partner had decided to bring Beeper down to the living room where Bob was, and Bob did not handle it well. While he didn't try to attack Beeper, he was apparently growling and hissing the whole time. Beeper apparently couldn't have cared less.

I've been trying to start at square one again by doing some scent swapping, but Bob's been reacting with a lot of anger over Beeper's scent.

What should I do next?

Thank you!

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do what you have already restarted, reintroducing them slowly through scent. Since poor Bob reacted poorly it may take awhile before he settles down. Be sure to talk with your partner so they understand the importance of taking the intro slow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beeper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there anyway I can do a slower method of scent swapping? Right now I've been using a sock rubbed on Beeper's face.

Also, unfortunately, I've tried talking to my partner about the cat introductions and she seems unfazed because "things will be ok in the end." I'll try talking to her in more detail.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I also think/hope some calming products might help;
as I understand it besides diffusers and collars, there are sprays, wipes and treats, depending on how broadly and intensely (?) you'd want to extend the benefit.

Some cats such as my Big Guy are completely unaffected by Feliway, but there are other products with different ingredients such as L-Tryphophan and casein.

Vetri-Science's Composure is one to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has one, Pet Naturals also has one I believe. Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course amazon and chewy, also there's Petwishpros.

There are a couple of current discussions about calming items, here's the link to one thread. Post #6 in this has a link to the second discussion.
Calming Treats?

Maybe talking with your partner about the fact that major stress and anger, where the growling is the audible indicator, is so detrimental to Bob as to cause illness and even pain for him, plus medical expenses to take care of him, etc. is really bad, and that this
Until Bob started growling and hissing at me and stalking me
is NOT pointing towards "it'll all work out...", without a fair bit of hard work.
(sigh) gosh I'm sorry this happened to you and Bob - hang in there!!

Let us know how things go and if there's anything else we can help you with!