Cat Introduction Woes

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:wow::clap::woo::banana2::woohoo::hobbes: That's fantastic news :D It sounds like it may not be too long before Tempest feels that she can own the whole house too :cross::vibes:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   I love it, Bêlit finding herself out in the body of the house before she realises it.   How cute.   

How wonderful that she is starting to feel relaxed enough to give in to her curiosity.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hubby just found Tempest in the bedroom, playing with one of Sinbad's toilet paper tubes. She is definitely getting more comfortable in the house!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo::hobbes::woo: Yet another wonderful development :clap: Bêlit was clearly destined to come to you and be the peacemaker in your house :nod::hugs::happy3:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah. Tempest was clearly nervous, but that didn't keep her from exploring and enjoying her play. She still doesn't like Sinbad and flees at any hint of his arrival, but it is simply amazing seeing her out and about like this. Such a break through.

I'm wondering if it's seeing Sinbad and Bêlit playing chase that's helping this along - she can see Sinbad chasing another cat her size with both of them having fun so is feeling safer? 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe, but what ever it is, it is magic at work and wonderful to hear tales of a happier and more relaxed looking Tempest.   Very happy for you all.  

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sinbad and Bêlit have found a way to peacefully share my lap. Out of sight, out of mind? They both wanted to snuggle me and express their approval of the new blanket I've been working on.

Here we have Sinbad snuggled against me beneath the blanket featured by the mound on the left, and Bêlit in my lap on top of it. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
    Looks high risk to me - with that colour of yarn, careful you don't end up crocheting their tails in to your blanket!  

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well once it became cuddle time I didn't get much crocheting done. I was too busy: 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wonderful as your crocheting is, Losna, I'd take snuggles with those two gorgeous felines over crocheting any day :lol3::heart3::heart2::heart3:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tempest's forays continue!

She has tried to join us all in bed the past few nights, unfortunately Sinbad hears her paws on the wood floor the moment she enters the bedroom and jumps down in excitement to welcome her, which causes her to flee in panic.

But unlike the past two years, she really seems to be finding her courage. I was doing the laundry just now, went to answer the phone and returned to find this:

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woo::clap: That's WONDERFUL news :D It sounds like she's making real progress since Bêlit's arrival :nod: How amazing that she's even THINKING about joining you in bed :jaw: Hopefully it won't be long before she truly shares the house with the rest of you :cross::vibes::9:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
   Sinbad!   
     He will have to learn to be a deeper sleeper so Tempest can come in and sneek up on to your bed.  
   Mind you, I can imagine you never wanting to get up if all 3 of them curled up with you there.  

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nothing new really to report, things are continuing as they have been. Although Tempest has started stealing Sinbad's toys again. There's one in particular - it's the end of a wand that Sinbad chewed off a while ago. It's got loads of feathers and these sort of crinkly ribbons. He loves to play with it, and now she steals it any chance she can get. Hubby throws it out every time he finds it, but every day it winds up back there in her room again.  

Though Tempest and Bêlit have sort of started to bond. There's no snuggling or physical contact or anything, but whenever Bêlit is feeling sick she goes to lie outside of Tempest's room, and Tempest comes out to watch over her. There's something almost motherly in Tempest's body language, I think she knows Bêlit isn't well.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
That's so sweet that Tempest is looking after Bêlit like that
I'm really glad the two of them are bonding
    Very sweet.   Hopefully one day Tempest will brave up and clamber over her gate to sit close by Bêlit and both will stay calm.  

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update time:

Sinbad and Bêlit's relationship has deteriorated a little. He is no longer so confident and comfortable around the house (no more sleeping sprawled on his back in random places sadly), and she often chases him out of his napping places. Humorously it's  pretty much the same reason that he terrorizes Tempest - she wants to cuddle and groom him excessively, so he leaves when he's tired of being groomed because she won't stop. They did both comes to terms when I was sick with food poisoning though, I spent most of the time I was sick with two guardian cats curled around my feet:

On the opposite end of the spectrum; Tempest is really coming out of her room now. She still flees at the sight or sound of Sinbad, however she has found a favorite napping place in our bedroom and is often to be seen wandering around the hall. She's out exploring so often now that we no longer know if she just curled up in a corner in her room or if she's out in the house when we can't see her immediately. She is especially fond of laundry just like Sinbad; if I leave the laundry basket on the table in the hall I will often find her sitting in it when I return. She has adapted her napping schedule to be opposite Sinbad's - she naps in the morning when he's roaming around so she can roam around in the afternoon when he's sound asleep.

I miss sleeping with Sinbad and his confidence lags a lot now so he requires a great deal of coddles and love and attention, but at the same time I am happy that Tempest is coming out. 

@lucindalynx   Thanks.. it's really been a long road. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's wonderful that Tempest has gained so much confidence around the rest of the house :clap: Hopefully she'll gain confidence around Sinbad too before too much longer :cross::vibes:

It's so sad that Sinbad is so tentative now though. Hopefully this is just temporary, as he and Bêlit find their places :cross: There's definitely still hope if he had the confidence to snuggle with you and Bêlit while you were sick :nod:

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So we've had an odd development...

We picked up a new feather down comforter and a cotton duvet to cover it. Somehow this has "reset" Sinbad and Bêlit's relationship. When I noticed this, I made a big point of making sure Sinbad got lots of cuddles on the new comforter. And now he sleeps with us again, and indeed, his napping place has returned to the bedroom during the day. He's even begun napping with me again, and chasing me to the bedroom when it's naptime if I'm doing something else and don't show signs of getting up. 

I even found him sprawling on his back in the hallway in his previous usual style earlier when he was enjoying the afternoon sun. 

I have no idea why a new comforter would have this effect, but I'll take it!