Cat Introduction Questions

lucygrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray several months ago. I have followed the guidance on this website about how to introduce him to the resident cat. The process worked. Everything has gone well but I am having one issue and I'm wondering if this is normal.

We are at the point where the two cats have met and spend most of their time outside of their safe areas. ( When we are gone they are separated) The new cat seems pretty calm and docile. The resident cat seems more stressed than normal but tolerates the new cat. They can walk by each other, sit in the same vicinity and touch noses without incident. 99% of the day everything is quiet.

Each evening around 8 PM, the resident cat seems to get more stressed and eventually ends up chasing the new cat through the house. The new cat doesn't seem too bothered by it. He will occasionally swat at the resident cat but overall he doesn't seem mad. The resident cat is very stressed though. He is puffed up, his tail switches and he is just very perturbed, stomps around and in general acts like he is mad.

I don't think they are playing. I also think the new cat is more socialized to other cats so that this behavior doesn't bother him very much.

My question is whether this is normal given that we are only a few weeks into this?

Should restrict the new cat more so that the resident cat can have more time free of him? Any ideas on what I shoudl do to prevent this or to stop this in progress would be appreciated. I've never done this before so I don't know if this is relatively normal or if I should retreat back a couple steps and control their interactions more.
Thank you - Sue

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it is going very well!

I wouldn't interfere. Cats have to work out their own rank between themselves, and this is their way of doing it. Since the new kitty isn't bothered by it and no one is getting hurt, let them work it out on their own.

PS...all that chasing will probably turn into play before too long, if it isn't already.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does indeed sounds like things are going very well. It falls within the range of "normal".

Since this activity is predictable you could re-direct the energy. At 7:50 either initiate a real active play session with some good toys (like Da Bird or anything interactive), rotate your floor toys and follow with a small feeding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lucygrant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for your input. i gritted my teeth and let the fur fly. things seem to be better. the resident cat has calmed down and is now trying to play with the new cat. the new cat wants nothing to do with him and hisses but it is all manageable. i guess they worked things out like you said.

thank you for your help. i'll let you know if things change but hopefully they will stay calm.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the happy update!

afp89898

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1 day I hope to bring 2 cats into my home and would love to hear how these 2 get on with each other once they settle in. Please do come back and tell us if they start bonding a little more.