Cat Introduction Going Badly.

alfred_venison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I hope someone who has dealt with this kind of problem can help. We have a two and a half year cat. We had another cat who was two and a half years when it died late last year.

We bought a 13 week old kitten last weekend and were going through the usual introduction process. It was going well until the kitten hissed at the resident cat. She ran to the kitchen and jumped in a kitchen cabinet and is currently sleeping there all day. We won't feed her in there, she has to come out but as soon as she's finished she goes back in. I've tried closing the door but she looks panicked and tries to find another hiding place. Her favorite toys aren't interesting her and she is barely eating.

She will come out at the end of the day but next morning she'll be back in the cupboard.

We have feliway on 24/7 and we give her the occasional calming treat.

This has been going on for three days. Is it just a matter of waiting her out?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's your adult cat that is hiding in the kitchen cabinet, right? It sounds like she's doing the "flight" part of "fight or flight".

Was that the first she'd seen of the kitten, when it hissed at her? Is she normally a timid cat?

Maybe try putting the kitten in another room and then giving your adult cat lots of attention. And maybe treats. Let her know she's not being replaced with a kitten.

Here's the TCS article on
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Here's a couple more articles that might be helpful:
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
The Multi-cat Household

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you had the kitten in a separate room, for a slow introduction? If not i think i would try that for a few days. Let the resident cat come out of the cabinet, in her own time, and get comfortable. She will start sniffing and showing interest in the door that the new kitten is behind. Three days is very early days, for them to accept each other.

I would let the resident cat have the cabinet she is secure in for now, not try to block her or shut it. A safe place to go to is a great thing for a cat to have. My little fraidy cat has favorite comfortable places to go when she is stressed. Then she calms down and comes out when ready. Usually when we have company, she does not like other people.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alfred_venison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was that the first she'd seen of the kitten, when it hissed at her? Is she normally a timid cat?

Thanks for replying.

Not the first time but the kitten had been ignoring her until then.

She is timid and docile, usually.

Maybe try putting the kitten in another room and then giving your adult cat lots of attention. And maybe treats. Let her know she's not being replaced with a kitten.

Here's the TCS article on
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

Here's a couple more articles that might be helpful:
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
The Multi-cat Household[/QUOTE]

Thanks for tbe articles, they look right on the money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alfred_venison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to those who replied.

They had been separated for a week and she had been showing interest at the door. When she was first placed in the room with him her body language was fine, pupils weren't dilated, ears weren't flat, no hissing or arched back. It was the second time we had them both in the same room that things went awry. I now realise that I mistook her docility for acceptance and went too fast. I will wsit until she's comfortable again and take things much slower.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats you can toss together and after a few hisses and such they are good to go. Some do take more time. Slow is better for the cats, but harder on us. Hopefully they will become friends soon :)