Cat inquiry: Is my cat ok?

chuchu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 days before (Jan 28th, today is Jan 30th), I had a visit to the vet for my cat's check-up because he was lethargic and wouldn't get up. Here are the notes I had to give my vet :

- When he ate, he vomited
- He wasn't drinking that much
- Has been experiencing diarrhea for a long time now
- Lethargic
- Lies down for hours and doesn't move at all
- Cold feet and ears
- Wants to hide
- Opens his mouth while lying down

My vet then asked questions like, how severe is his diarrhea was and if he was eating well. His diarrhea wasn't too severe and he still has the desire to eat though only ate a few. The vet also did a test, I don't exactly know what it was because of my bad memory, it sounded like Farvo corona? Parvo corona? Farbo corona? I don't exactly know which and what it was, I speculated that it might be related to feline coronavirus. The test came out negative so the doctor prescribed me an antibiotic (Metronidazole) and supplement (Nutriblend gel), also recommended me to feed him royal canin gastrointestinal as well as ener-g probiotic. I've been giving him all the instructed medication and after 2 days, he's been getting better. This morning he was less lethargic but has been breathing really quickly, purred for a while then stopped. He also started lying down inside the litter box. It was suspicious but he didn't seem tired or lethargic anymore. He even started playing with our other cat and also started walking more instead of lying down for hours. His poop was better than before, It's still soft but now has a shape to it unlike before it was soft served or even close to watery.

Is there a possible chance that my cat has early symptoms FIP or FCOV? Or just a problem with his stomach? Should I go to the vet again?
I'm also sorry if my grammar isn't the best, I havent slept for hours now from worry.

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about your friend and how worried you are. Firstly, how old is your cat? Do they have any preexisting health conditions? How is his most recent stool? Has he had another breathing episode?

This is an article regarding checking vitals at home: How to Check Your Cat's Vital Signs at Home

As well as one regarding more information regarding FIP: Feline Infectious Peritonitis | VCA Animal Hospitals

FIP is associated with FCOV. FIP is hard to diagnosis but some things you could request are bloodwork, XRAYs to see if there is any fluid accumulation. The only "sure" way to diagnosis FIP is by biopsy that is then analyzed by pathologist.

I would highly suggest informing the vet about the worrisome breathing, and get some bloodwork done to rule out any other problems or infections. Don't make yourself sick with worry thinking it is FIP, it is possible but there are MANY other things it could be, that are treatable. Continue his regimen as prescribed by his doctor. Hang in there, keep us updated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chuchu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry to hear about your friend and how worried you are. Firstly, how old is your cat? Do they have any preexisting health conditions? How is his most recent stool? Has he had another breathing episode?

This is an article regarding checking vitals at home: How to Check Your Cat's Vital Signs at Home

As well as one regarding more information regarding FIP: Feline Infectious Peritonitis | VCA Animal Hospitals

FIP is associated with FCOV. FIP is hard to diagnosis but some things you could request are bloodwork, XRAYs to see if there is any fluid accumulation. The only "sure" way to diagnosis FIP is by biopsy that is then analyzed by pathologist.

I would highly suggest informing the vet about the worrisome breathing, and get some bloodwork done to rule out any other problems or infections. Don't make yourself sick with worry thinking it is FIP, it is possible but there are MANY other things it could be, that are treatable. Continue his regimen as prescribed by his doctor. Hang in there, keep us updated.

Hello, thank you so much for your kind and reassuring words. I sincerely appreciate that a lot. :"0

Firstly, how old is your cat?
My cat's age is estimated to be 8-9 months since he was a stray cat that we adopt.

Do they have any preexisting health conditions?
He had lung problems before, symptoms were dry heaving and an x-ray showed white spots on his lungs, it happened last year and hasn't happened since then after weeks of medication; he also had ear mites before but was also medicated and no ear mites were seen after that.

How is his most recent stool?
His stool used to be watery and soft served-like, today it was a mix of wet and dry, it also had a shape to it, a bit of an improvement.

Has he had another breathing episode?
Today was the first, his breathing was quick and he was purring; my family speculated that it was because of his quarantine room, and lack of proper ventilation. He is resting at this moment and had 27 breaths in 1 min.

I'll make sure to read through the information you've given me, thank you so much again for the help!!

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
We all understand the worries of being a parent, you did the right thing coming here. I'm proud of you!

- He is fairly young, so lets hope that works in his favor for bouncing back.
- Since he has a history of bad lungs, I think a recheck X-RAY is definitely necessary, JUST to be safe.
- Poop improvement is good! Be on the lookout if it gets too hard, like rabbit poops.
- Keep his ventilation high, make sure he is comfortable. To ease your mind, "A normal cat takes between 20 to 30 breaths per minute, with a relaxed cat measuring on the lower end of the scale."

You are doing your best, don't worry. :alright: :grouphug:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The vet also did a test, I don't exactly know what it was because of my bad memory, it sounded like Farvo corona? Parvo corona? Farbo corona? I don't exactly know which and what it was, I speculated that it might be related to feline coronavirus. The test came out negative
Odds are the test was for FCoV - feline coronavirus (and has nothing to do with COVID-19). If he tested negative, there is no way he is experiencing FIP symptoms. A lot of cats will test positive for FCoV and still never have it mutate to FIP - unless the test gave a false negative FIP is not possible. Your bill/invoice should show what test was run.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there another vet in your area you trust that you could take him to? I would ask for a fecal exam to rule out parasites and bloodwork to see if there's anything out of whack. Did the vet give you anything to help firm up his stool? Is your kitty eating? I think you need more care for him than what your current vet is giving.

chuchu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We all understand the worries of being a parent, you did the right thing coming here. I'm proud of you!

- He is fairly young, so lets hope that works in his favor for bouncing back.
- Since he has a history of bad lungs, I think a recheck X-RAY is definitely necessary, JUST to be safe.
- Poop improvement is good! Be on the lookout if it gets too hard, like rabbit poops.
- Keep his ventilation high, make sure he is comfortable. To ease your mind, "A normal cat takes between 20 to 30 breaths per minute, with a relaxed cat measuring on the lower end of the scale."

You are doing your best, don't worry. :alright: :grouphug:
Thank you!! Sorry for not responding immediately, been busy with college and preparing for cny but I've seen your reply and taken note of it!! His poop has been improving a lot, also placed a bit of warm water with his food so that he won't be dehydrated! He also started to play a lot, walked more, and started being vocal again. His paws and ears have been warm lately and aren't icy cold anymore!! :000 It's been 4 days since I've given him his medications so I'm incredibly relieved by this improvement ;;; tysm for being with me.

Odds are the test was for FCoV - feline coronavirus (and has nothing to do with COVID-19). If he tested negative, there is no way he is experiencing FIP symptoms. A lot of cats will test positive for FCoV and still never have it mutate to FIP - unless the test gave a false negative FIP is not possible. Your bill/invoice should show what test was run.
Thank you for the info!! I was worried since I had met 2 cats that had fcov while in the waiting room at the vet's clinic. But since he tested negative as well as improved his health after 4 days of medication, with your information too, I can now rule out FIP with confidence!! Google + overthinking really ruined me in the past few days haha It's like how searching about body pains in google can lead to "you have cancer"

Is there another vet in your area you trust that you could take him to? I would ask for a fecal exam to rule out parasites and bloodwork to see if there's anything out of whack. Did the vet give you anything to help firm up his stool? Is your kitty eating? I think you need more care for him than what your current vet is giving.
My cat's stool has been improving a lot after the vet gave me his prescribed medication! It has shape now and isn't too dry or too wet. He's also eating, he's a picky eater so he only eats a bit but still eats 3 times a day! In the first week of January, I went to the vet for his scheduled check-up, the vet recommended to test his blood or do a bloodwork since I told her about my cat's diarrhea and everything was normal! On the next check-up at the last week of January, since my cat started being lethargic, my vet did a fcov test and it came out negative. So I thin what my vet has told me is working a ton from my cat's health improvement :0 but tysm for your concerns, I'll definitely keep on updating if there are any changes with my cat in the future!

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
The greatest joy is hearing he is doing better. We will always be here. Don't be shy. :grouphug: :rbheart:

chuchu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here are some pictures of my baby! You can see my other cat in one of the pictures too. Both adopted strays!!

The first image is my cat tired and laying down; this was before visiting the vet, the day he started being lethargic Jan. 27th
IMG_20220127_001614.jpg

The second and third images are on Feb. 1 (1:07am) He's exploring the house as well as walking a lot more, even started playing with his favorite toy! Celebrated Chinese new year with him <3
IMG_20220201_010709.jpg IMG_20220201_010701.jpg