Cat in pain several days after giving birth

Petersho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 16 month old bengal who gave birth to 5 kittens 5 days ago. All was going well until this morning when she is yowling/growling in pain, not excessively but there is something not right. I cant see any signs of mastitis and she seems to be nursing OK. Any ideas? vets not open until tomorrow and I dont want to stress her by taking her away from the kittens for a trip to the vets.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor girl! It could be any number of things, but after delivery, the likely culprit would be uterine infection. In this case she might need an antibiotic.

Take the kittens with her to the vet tomorrow if she still seems bothered. Do not leave them behind if you go.

Please keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Petersho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you count the placentas as she had the kittens? Does she have a fever? Are you sure all the kittens were born? I have heard of some being born days AFTER the rest of the litter. It isn't common, but it is possible. I would call the vet for advice.
Yes I did only count 4 placentas but I missed the last kitten being born so she could have eaten the last one

Petersho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor girl! It could be any number of things, but after delivery, the likely culprit would be uterine infection. In this case she might need an antibiotic.

Take the kittens with her to the vet tomorrow if she still seems bothered. Do not leave them behind if you go.

Please keep us posted!
Will do

Attachments

Petersho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well that was weird, she was in discomfort/pain until about 6pm that day when she jumped into the kitchen sink and had a massive pee! she had obviously been holding it in for some reason. But since then she has been fine. THought it might have been cystitis but shes completely normal now.