Cat in labour

lauraclark2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my Siamese cat is currently in labour at 65 days. She has just given birth to this, see picture which I assume is a severely underdeveloped kitten. She is still in labour currently although no more kittens. Can I assume the rest of the kittens are like this? Is there anything else I need to do with mum? Many thanks

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is a kitten fetus that failed to develop properly. If there are more kittens they should be okay at 65 days. As long as mom is not in distress she should be okay as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lauraclark2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the response. Labour seems to have stopped now and no further deliveries of anything. She does not seem distressed, has been for a fuss and does not look pregnant anymore. I’m wondering if she does not have anything else to deliver now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It CAN be a pause in the labor. She had a very late spontan abort of the misshapen fetus; and with any luck will deliver healthy kittens in proper time.

Shouldnt be long now, unless you misjudged the days... This happens. :)

OR it was her only one.

As long she is OK no visible troubles, do observe but you can wait.

lauraclark2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have called the vets and have her booked in for a check today just to be on the safe side. I suspect there are no further kittens as I cannot feel anything further but just want her checked over.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your responses. I have called the vets and have her booked in for a check today just to be on the safe side. I suspect there are no further kittens as I cannot feel anything further but just want her checked over.
The for the report. What did the vet said??

Of course, consulting the vet is the wise, I didnt recommended this step, because most of our forumists dont have access to a good vet. Or there IS a vet, but costly... So its important to see when the vet visit is necessary, and when you can spare the money for later needs.

lauraclark2015

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have just got back. Two vets checked her and they both said they are 99% sure there is nothing else left and no more kittens. They also took her temp etc. They said it is likely if there were other kittens, they were probably reabsorbed earlier on in the pregnancy and for some strange reason the foetus that came out wasn’t. I have to monitor for signs of infection such as discharge, being lethargic etc but other than that she should be fine.

I really appreciate your advice. I wanted a vet check as reassurance she was ok as I wouldn’t forgive myself if she got an infection etc because I hadn’t taken her and something was wrong.

I am just glad Poppy is ok.