Cat in labor??

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just do not let her go outside at all until she is spayed. Around eight weeks is the norm, as the kittens will have transitioned to solids. My cat had four kittens and experienced her first heat when they were seven weeks old. I had her spayed at the end of that heat cycle.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy to hear all went well and she delivered 3 babes without any drama!  

Anywhere between 2 and 6 weeks is the most common for her next heat, right around 4 weeks is what I'd call average.

It's a pain in the butt too, as she will be restless and act preoccupied with her own feelings rather than on her kids, seem to get almost annoyed at times about nursing, and only wants to go outside for some "socializing" :)

She very well may leave for too long too, leaving her babies without being fed. Chances are pretty good that heat will come before they are eating solids on their own too, so this is why it's so important not to allow her outside.

If she is used to being outside, and drives you bonkers over it, or escapes, be prepared to possibly need to supplement the kids.

PLUS when she does get spayed she will need aborting as well :(  Back to back litters are no good.

Be sure to change her towel/bedding that was there when she delivered, as it is soiled and very wet.

I just start to roll it up on one side, as you unroll a clean one to replace the old one, one side at a time so she doesn't feel stressed or uneasy.

Always talk to her and love on her when you do this or handle the kids.

Be sure she has LOTS of fresh water, and can be given kmr once a day as well, replenishes her vitamin/nutrient supply.

Post pics asap!  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyface91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those are the best ones :) Thanks everyone! I'm calling a vet Monday and asking if I should bring in mama and babies to make sure everything's ok and to see when we can schedule her to be spayed! This is her first and last litter, I don't think she could handle another one :( it has completely worn her out. I think she may be a little dehydrated too. She's been drinking, but very little. The babies are looking good they're feeding well and she's taking very good care of them. I'm just a little concerned for her, is there anything I should be doing for her to make her more comfortable? I'm too afraid to even pick her up lol I feel like she's more fragile than the babies right now!

babyface91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to add that she's eating a lot, actually more than usual. But would it be a good idea to give her wet cat food once or twice a day? Would that help even a little if she is dehydrated?

babyface91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, and I'm loving everyone's advice too BTW! Thank you everyone, because I really don't know what I'm doing [emoji]128514[/emoji] haha and Catwoman707 what's kmr? I'm interested in anything beneficial!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
KMR is kitten milk replacer, also known as formula. The powder in the can by PetAg is best. You can mix it up and give some to your mama kitty to drink from a dish. It's full of vitamins and minerals that she needs to make good milk for her babies. It's sold at Walmart and pet stores.

You should also feed your cat as much wet food as she wants right now to help her stay strong and hydrated - probably three times a day, in addition to leaving dry food down for her at all times. She needs as much as she can eat right now. :)

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Babes are little darlings! (aren't they all precious?!)

Mom's system is on overtime right now, her body is going back to it's former state, and her hormones are adjusting, and she is working on her milk now to feed these cuties.

She needs quiet time and rest with her kids now, so she can settle into her momma routine and become familiar with her kids, and bond.

Your support is important for her, as @sarthur2  said, canned food would be appreciated, a couple times a day is nice, as well as some kmr once you get some, or even cat milk, also purchased at pet supply stores and walmart.

Lots of fluids, canned is fluids, cat milk/kmr is fluid, and fresh water is needed for milk production, you will be surprised in the next week at how much more fluids she consumes and needs.

Things are great, everything came out well, no pun intended!

babyface91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok :) Thank you everyone! I'll buy some next time I'm out! Any information for a calcium supplement? I read in an earlier comment that finely crushed egg shells are good?

babyface91

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And thanks [emoji]128525[/emoji] they are absolutely adorable!!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok
Thank you everyone! I'll buy some next time I'm out! Any information for a calcium supplement? I read in an earlier comment that finely crushed egg shells are good?
Yes, remove the inner membrane and the fine powder can be mixed with wet food.