Cat in labor, amniotic sac or water?

Twilcox70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I have a Bengal Cat who became pregnant either right before or immediately after my male was neutered. I noticed a bulb like sac poking out of her a couple hours ago. After a few minutes, she jumped down to the floor and pooped it on a carpet so I wasn’t able to really inspect the fluid. Prior to her breaking it, it was red tinged in colour. Since then she has had small amounts of red tinged mucus but she licks it up quick. She has been a little restless and a bit vocal at times. Paces around but purring lots and other than anxious a little doesn’t seem distressed. I’m wondering if it was her water or an amniotic sac I saw. I haven’t seen any obvious strong contractions although I think she has had some mild ones based on her going from resting to pacing or licking herself. Can anyone tell me if the water comes out in a sac or if that was an amniotic sac? I don’t want to worry prematurely but also don’t want to miss something important. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It was probably an amniotic sac, but there are overall waters and then each kitten is inside its own sac. The one that she delivered may have been an “empty” one in which a kitten embryo failed to develop.

Hopefully all is well and she will deliver healthy kittens in the next 24-48 hours. It sounds like she may be in early labor. Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twilcox70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I thought it might be an amniotic sac but when a kitten didn’t come afterwards, I become a bit worried and wondered if it could have been the water. Is an empty sac common? I have no problem taking her to a vet but don’t want to overreact and stress her more with taking her there if it’s not necessary. She is purring pretty much constantly and nesting off and on in her box.

Twilcox70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, still no kittens, she’s been mostly in her nesting box the last couple hours. Does not seem distressed. It looks like she has contraction’s because her breathing will get heavier for moments and she opens her mouth and pants a little. She has a light brownish discharge at her vulva but nothing dripping really. I haven’t really seen her abdomen contracting in any obvious way except that sometimes when she is panting a bit, she lifts her butt up slightly. She will roll over and let me pet her belly. I’m just concerned that she lost that small sac like fluid more than 5 hours ago now. Should things have progressed more by now? I did call my vet and he suggested I monitor another couple hours and call back if she hasn’t progressed. I don’t want to stress her out by taking her to the vet if I’m just being a worry wart :)

Twilcox70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also just in the last five minutes, she has walked over to me and done like a squat as if she was taking a poop and I can see her making like a pushing motion with her muscles. Just a couple of times and then she walked away

Twilcox70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It was probably an amniotic sac, but there are overall waters and then each kitten is inside its own sac. The one that she delivered may have been an “empty” one in which a kitten embryo failed to develop.

Hopefully all is well and she will deliver healthy kittens in the next 24-48 hours. It sounds like she may be in early labor. Keep us posted!

Twilcox70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again, so she finally delivered the first kitten almost an hour ago. She definitely has more but nothing is happening yet. She delivered the first one on the floor as she walked around. I gave her a minute to tend to the kitten there and then scooped it up in a towel and put it in the box. She immediately jumped in and began eating the placenta slowly but wasn’t chewing the cord off. She did lick her baby but after several minutes went by, I tied and cut the cord. Mom continues to try and eat the placenta but she then left it and was just moving about the box in a restless manner. I removed the placenta and placed the kitten near her teats as it had not started nursing yet. Mom is now sleeping and I’m wondering how long she can safely go between kittens being born?

Twilcox70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s actually been closer to two hours now since first kitten was born? I know they can take a rest in between but how long is too long?

Twilcox70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I am not sure if you have been seeing my messages on here. I’m new so I might have been replying in the wrong box :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’re in the right place! 😊

Cats can go hours and even days between delivery of kittens, so don’t worry unless she seems in distress, as in pushing for more than an hour with no kitten.

Good you helped her with the first kitten’s cord, and if she’s not interested in eating any placentas, just remove them as you did. She’s inexperienced.

Has the kitten nursed by now? How is mom doing?

T Twilcox70