Cat In Labor... 2 Premature Kittens

tmyoung06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all... I'm a newbie here

A week ago we went to the shelter looking for puppies lol and my daughter wanted to see the cats. We saw this beautiful cat who was one day from her end date :(. We fell in love with her and she is now our sweet Lilo. She was examined by a vet there and given vacinations. Upon getting her I had no idea she was pregnant. I'm off spring break so we were calling to set up her spay. I also took her to a vet in that county that day since they didn't test her for FL. They did testing and a full check up. She also did not notice at the time she was pregnant. After having her for 4 days I felt her belly was quite large and she was wanting to eat... a lot. I just felt she was pregnant.

Tonight we came home from dinner and her backside was wet. We thought she fell in the toilet, but then she was very vocal. So I checked her sleeping spot and there was fluid and a premature baby. :(

She ended up having another one too. Both were premature. No hair, just pink almost transparent. So far she is resting on me and there have been no more.

Here are details:

1. She was dropped off at the shelter 3-9-2018

2. We adopted her 3-17-2018. She visited the second vet this day, no idea when she saw the shelter vet.

3. Wednesday 3-21-2018 I noticed her belly and her eating habits changed. (I called a new vet Wednesday.... we were wanting to try to see if they could test for pregnancy prior to spay, she said they couldn't until 33 days... of course I have no idea when she conceived)

4. Tonight she had her first baby... not sure what time. her second was an hour ago. (they had no hair, pinkish almost transparent, not breathing or moving in anyway)

MY QUESTIONS....

1. Is it possible she may have some healthy Kittens?

2. Any advice?

I have called a vets after hours line. Unfortunately she was extremely rude, still haven't found the perfect vet yet and clearly this one isn't it either. When asked about the issues below she basically said they will all die you should've spayed her. Even though she knew I just got her from the shelter...

She just said "I could bring her in to see if she is finished..." on Monday.

Thank you for your advice. Lilo is doing fine; however, I have been heartbroken over this loss.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There happens sometimes other are left inside born healthy in their due time.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess, sadly, is that the vaccinations caused premature labor and delivery. Pregnant cats should not be vaccinated for this reason, though I understand that no one knew she was pregnant.

Kittens born without fur are no more than 6 weeks along, as they begin to get fur in-utero during weeks 7-9.

It’s possible she may have more that she will carry to full term, or abort in the coming days. The only real way to know if she has more would be an x-ray.

If she is in no distress you can wait it out. I would recommend this.

The other choice is to go ahead with a spay/abort since the kittens are currently not fully developed.

The vet you spoke with sounds terribly rude. I would not use that office!

I’m sorry you’ve been through so much with a shelter cat that you’re giving a nice home to.

Please let us know what you decide!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tmyoung06

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She ended up having 4 premie babies. All of which didn't make it. They xrayed her and couldn't see anymore babies and put her on antibiotics.

She is much better now and acting like her old self. Thank you guys for the help!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear she is doing well. When do you plan to spay her?