Cat in Heat??

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I'm new to this, I hope I'm posting this in the right place!!

I just have a couple questions reguarding my 10 month old kitty.
She has yet to be spayed (dont worry, we are going to do it as soon as we can afford it) I think she is in heat beacuse she has been acting really funny. I believe she has been for a while. The problem is she has gotten outside a few times by breaking out windows and barging down doors, we seemed to have put a stop to it. Her symptoms (of being in heat i think) seemed to have gotten worse this time around (maybe because she went out before?), and I am wondering if she is acting normal or if I should be concerned. She has started howling or crying, it sounds like shes in pain... she usually does this only in our basement... and shes crouches when she walks she is also very sleepy. She seems very uncomfortable, is there anything I can do to help her?

I also was wondering if anyone had any information on a place that would be a little morecost efficient to get her spayed, we're from Ontario Canada.. in the Toronto area. We also have a 6 month old stray we've taken in that needs to be spayed as well.

I think thats everything! sorry its so much to read!
any advise you can give me is so greatly appreciated!!!
thanks!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by * BeX *

Hi there! I'm new to this, I hope I'm posting this in the right place!!

I just have a couple questions reguarding my 10 month old kitty.
She has yet to be spayed (dont worry, we are going to do it as soon as we can afford it) I think she is in heat beacuse she has been acting really funny. I believe she has been for a while. The problem is she has gotten outside a few times by breaking out windows and barging down doors, we seemed to have put a stop to it. Her symptoms (of being in heat i think) seemed to have gotten worse this time around (maybe because she went out before?), and I am wondering if she is acting normal or if I should be concerned. She has started howling or crying, it sounds like shes in pain... she usually does this only in our basement... and shes crouches when she walks she is also very sleepy. She seems very uncomfortable, is there anything I can do to help her?

I also was wondering if anyone had any information on a place that would be a little morecost efficient to get her spayed, we're from Ontario Canada.. in the Toronto area. We also have a 6 month old stray we've taken in that needs to be spayed as well.

I think thats everything! sorry its so much to read!
any advise you can give me is so greatly appreciated!!!
thanks!!
Welcome to TCS.....definately sounds like she is in heat. I would not wait too long on getting her spayed as each time she gets out, she could come back pregnant.

Animal Crusaders of Ontario
Toronto, Ontario
Phone: (416) 438-4636
Email: [email protected]
Referral to low cost vets

Richmond Homeless Cat Society
P.O. Box 43043
Richmond Centre P.O.
Richmond, BC
Canada V6Y 3Y3
Phone: (604) 275-2036 or (604) 271-7729
Email: [email protected]

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes she is in heat - very much so - make doubly sure she does not get outside.

Not sure about Canada, but call around to vets or shelters and ask for low cost spay/neuter. Or look on the net in your area. Good luck and get her in as quick as you can

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help !!!
the contacts will come in handy, i really appreciate it!!

I do have one more question tho.. I noticed now... since she wont leave my side .. that when she raises her rear end up while shes crouching.. theres liquid oozing out of her... sorry that sounds so gross...
is that her spray? should I be worried about her spraying around the house?

Thanks again! you guys are super!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you so much for your help !!!
the contacts will come in handy, i really appreciate it!!

I do have one more question tho.. I noticed now... since she wont leave my side .. that when she raises her rear end up while shes crouching.. theres liquid oozing out of her... sorry that sounds so gross...
is that her spray? should I be worried about her spraying around the house?

Thanks again! you guys are super!!
This is what I found:

Queenie may also spray vertical surfaces with a strongly scented fluid. She will accomplish this by backing up to the surface and raising her tail high. The tail may quiver, and she may perfom the rhythmic treading described in step four.

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybirth/ht/oestrus.htm

That definately sounds like she is spraying...having her spayed should decrease if not eliminate the spraying behavior.

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hrmm...
well it doesnt seem to have an odor.. not that I have noticed yet anyway.... and its not really spraying.. more like dripping... its pretty thick... but I bet thats all it is!!

thanks for the site!!
she seems to have almost every symptom on here!

feelin much relief...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

hrmm...
well it doesnt seem to have an odor.. not that I have noticed yet anyway.... and its not really spraying.. more like dripping... its pretty thick... but I bet thats all it is!!

thanks for the site!!
she seems to have almost every symptom on here!

feelin much relief...
Then that sounds more like a discharge than spraying.

Katie

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
and is a discharge normal during this time?
no need to worry?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

and is a discharge normal during this time?
no need to worry?
I'm not a vet, but I believe a little discharge is normal during heat (but hopefully one of the other members will confirm that). I would keep her strictly indoors right now until you can get her spayed.

Katie

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
great!!
thank you SO much for taking the time to help me out!!!

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its kind of milky looking...
almost clear but a little off white... really thick looking...

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aw thats okay

I think its actually more transparent than puss

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you see what really got my concern was the fact that usually when she howls.. its more like a moan... but when she goes downstairs she starts freaking out.. it scares my other cats.. their hair stands on end.. its like shes in pain...
I usually have my pets spayed in time tho so i really dont know how normal that sound is.

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
okay! thank you! I will keep an eye out, intially I was worried she may have an infection of some sort, my older male had urinary tract problems..
If I see any change I will get her to the vet

thank you again! it was very nice of you to help me out

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I breed Siamese cats so that sound is normal in my home even when my girl isn't in estrus!! It is absolutely horrendous when she is! LOL I think it is probably the normal calling a queen in estrus does to attract a mate so I wouldn't be worried about it yet, but watch her. If she seems hot to the touch (fever) or that discharge changes like I said above then go on and get her in.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is also not a good idea to let her keep going into heat over and over again. It is stressful for her and could be harmful to her health in the long run. So it really is better go get the spaying done as quickly as you can.

* bex *

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yep thats the plan... I actually made a phone call a couple hours ago and we are going to get her in for spaying asap.
I hate seeing the poor thing go thru this!

My oh my that howling does get loud! yer house must get pretty noisey with those siamese cats!!! hehehe

thanks again to you all!!