Cat in diabetes remission

alima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm looking at adopting a cat who has been diagnosed as diabetes in remission. The charity has told me to research it further than what they could tell me themselves; as they believe if it comes from people with personal experience then I know personal experience for daily living and the impact on the cat

The female cat is 14 years old and slightly over weight but on a controlled diet since the charity has had her, and the weight has reduced slightly (but due to the small pen size it doesn't give her much space to run off that weight). She eats off board with spikes to prevent her gobbling food down, so she has to work for her food). She has no other health conditions aside the diabetes, no problems walking and is a lovely sociable very playful cat. She outwore me!

My main concern is, what will that diabetes do to her if i can't get her weight down at a steady rate?

Thank you

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I recommend that you also post for advice on the FelineDiabetes.com message board Members there can provide advice on how to keep your potential adoptee in remission and how to keep her weight down. I know there are many members on the FDMB board from the UK and they can provide suggestions for ideal foods for the diabetic.

Weight gain may cause the cat to come out of remission. Putting the cat on the right diet and giving plenty of exercise along with maybe a brief period on insulin may be enough to achieve remission again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alima

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply, i had came across that board after posting here, so i will do thank you.
I actually live in a rural location where my current cat comes for a walk with me (not on a leash) around the area, so i think this potential cat is friendly enough that she would follow me enough to do this also; thinking this is then a good option to get her exercising.