Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat hovering over ones head and kneads.

Happens at any time.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Is your cat actually kneading your head?  I can't actually visualise what you're describing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
right behind.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
So on the back of the chair for example.. not your head?

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Correct. Say the cat walks up behind you..stands over your head and kneads but his/her paws are not on your head but near it.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Correct. Say the cat walks up behind you..stands over your head and kneads but his/her paws are not on your head but near it.
so you're kitty is kneading on top of you head, but not making contact with your head, but ....is actually kneading the air above your head?

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so you're kitty is kneading on top of you head, but not making contact with your head, but ....is actually kneading the air above your head?
Standing over you (head,chest over your head) but front paws on on the pillow or whatever next to your head and kneading.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Standing over you (head,chest over your head) but front paws on on the pillow or whatever next to your head and kneading.
thats normal!

i have two cats.

one cat kneads on me, my body, my tummy, or legs, or back, or neck (which sometimes hurts)

my other cat kneads things around me. he likes to have his hind legs on me, but he will knead something with my scent on it, worn clothes, pillow i'm sleeping on, blanket.

each cat is different. but, its a sign of love and affection. that's how I take it anyways. Kittens knead their mother's nipples and breasts to help stimulate milk production. its a comfort thing some kitties do.

:)

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Biscuit Making will commence wherever and whenever kitty deems necessary. Please do not interrupt said Biscuit Making until it has commenced or unil kitty is no longer conscious."

Rule #3 in the cat ownership handbook.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Biscuit Making will commence wherever and whenever kitty deems necessary. Please do not interrupt said Biscuit Making until it has commenced or unil kitty is no longer conscious."

Rule #3 in the cat ownership handbook.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our ragamuffin cat Wolfy is closest and bonded to our 7 yo daughter.  He will knead her head while nuzzling her neck but never comes near my wife or I (unless its feeding time).  

Last edited:

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that cats who are excessive kneaders (and who suckle blankets and such), have "mommy issues". Either they were seperated from mom way too early, or had a very young mother, who wasn't attentive.

She doesn't do it anymore, Bu Beans used to hiss while she was making biscuits and suckling on a blanket next to me. She still does it, but just without the hissing.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've heard that cats who are excessive kneaders (and who suckle blankets and such), have "mommy issues". Either they were seperated from mom way too early, or had a very young mother, who wasn't attentive.

She doesn't do it anymore, Bu Beans used to hiss while she was making biscuits and suckling on a blanket next to me. She still does it, but just without the hissing.
Interesting, Wolfy`s mom was a year old and it was her first litter.    Though he was twice as large as his 3 siblings so it was usually easy for him to overpower them.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got my little Beans "second hand", in that a lady took her from a litter at 6 weeks. Then decided at 11 weeks that she didn't have time for a cat and a dog.

My little impressionable Beans was mothered by the pooch for quite a while eventhough she was weened.

Then I took over as mommy/daddy. She's still the most dog like CST I've ever owned. She's especially territorial like a dog. She's always at odds with either my cat Oksana, or myself over invading her space. She's an odd bird for sure.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
kneading is such a mystery.

i had Charlie for a whole month before i got Jet. Jet was a kneader right off the bat. but Charlie NEVER kneaded. ever. i feel like its something he learned from Jet, because after having Jet for about 5-6 months, he just randomly started to knead one day. and now he does it all the time. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do learn from each other, just like children. My little Beana was bomb-proof as a kitten. She wasn't scared of anything, especially people. I loved that about her.

She's lived with the most paranoid, skittish, and anti-social kitty on the planet; Oksana from day one. After 2 years, Beans is now almost as skittish as Oksana.

Cats...

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
They do learn from each other, just like children. My little Beana was bomb-proof as a kitten. She wasn't scared of anything, especially people. I loved that about her.

She's lived with the most paranoid, skittish, and anti-social kitty on the planet; Oksana from day one. After 2 years, Beans is now almost as skittish as Oksana.

Cats...
Charlie tries to hiss. I've noticed him trying to do it for the past month (i've had him since he was 3 mo old, and he will be turning 1 this month). He has NEVER hissed. however, hissing is a the primary method of communicating for Jet. So i think after being hissed at all this time, Charlie is beginning to attempt hissing, but his hissing sounds like a balloon loosing air..or a wet whoopi cushion (if that makes sense)

Charlie is learning the best things from my litter princess Jet 

-____-