Cat hissing at other cat after illness

signorinasirena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For over a week, my 5-year-old, Po, had an upper respiratory infection. She got this from my 6-year-old, Seffie. Seffie got over it in a week, but Po had bad symptoms and was on two courses of antibiotics. She spent most of the time hiding and resting. Now that she's better and the medicine is done with, she's coming out to hang out with everyone, which pleases me to no end. She's still sneezing a bit and coughing sometimes, but Seffie's still sneezing a bit here and there too. 

However, from the first time until now, when Seffie gets near Po, she sniffs, hisses, and backs off. Po looks so sad all rejected, but she's ok with it. She's actually hissed once or twice, too. 

I read on here about putting a dab of pure vanilla extract on their chins, back of their heads and the base of their tails, so I've done that. But how long does it take? I just started this evening and Seffie got close to Po to sniff her for a few minutes, but then she hissed again. 

Oh, and I also plugged in our Comfort Zone diffusers and sprayed some Feliway around. 

What do I do?!! They used to be such good buddies! Do you think this will work?

Last edited:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm... my experience with vanilla (actually I use talcum powder but it's the same difference) is that the results are pretty much instant.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My two have issues with each other after vet visits; even when I bring them there together.  The vanilla helps some; but it's taken a few days for things to get back to normal a few times.

One thing I do not know is how often the vanilla should be re-applied or if once is enough?  Hopefully someone else can answer that for both of us!