Cat hisses at everyone except me

naomi's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had my beloved kitten, Naomi, since she was 3 1/2 weeks old. She was found under a pile of leaves on the side of the road in a bustling city. I bottle fed her and nursed the poor girl back to health. She's always been very well cared for and loved since the day she was given to me. She is now almost 2 years old. She has always gotten along extremely well with humans, especially my 1 1/2 year old daughter. She has also always been extremely affectionate and has never in her life been aggressive except when playing, and even then it has always been very mild.
Recently one of my room mates told me that Naomi hissed at her and scratched her. My boyfriend then told me that Naomi had hissed at him on a couple of occasions, and had also hissed at my daughter. My brother told me that Naomi hissed at him over the weekend.
Can anyone explain this behavior? She has never in her life been anything but an absolute sweetheart. She still gets as much attention as she ever has. She even still sleeps on her back with her belly exposed. She's in perfect health too. Any suggestions?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you ask them what they were doing when she hissed / scratched. One of mine is an absolute sweetheart but if he feels I am threatened he suddenly thinks he is a guard dog and will even scare me - there is usually some kind of trigger

If not, she could not be feeling well, you say she is in perfect health but they are good at hiding their pain, it could be that they had touched a sore spot or she felt more threatened because of pain - has she had bloodwork etc done to say she is in perfect health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naomi's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My room mate was petting her and put her down gently, then she hissed and scratched. My boyfriend was just sitting there minding his own business when Naomi walked by and hissed. My brother reached down to pet her, but she hissed so he didn't. My daughter just walked near her.
I was not present when any of these incidents happened, so I don't think its an issue of her being protective of me.
All of her last BUN panel came back normal. She's not been exposed to anything new, nor has her food been changed. She's strictly an indoor cat (she is petrified of being outside) and has never even tried to run outside. All of her shots are current as well

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naomi's mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is why I am so baffled by all of this. I love Naomi to death and would never get rid of her. I'm just very concerned for her because it is behavior she has never displayed. I'll get her to the vet asap and have them do another set of labs on her. Her last work up was 6 months ago, before she started randomly hissing

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it's nothing.

You could try adding feliway diffusers to the home. Maybe something has changed? or maybe something spooked her.
It could be anything from a weird smell on someone coming in setting her off to cats hanging around outside. Some cats are very sensitive to this.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have these people every been the source of good things? Do they ever feed her or give treats or play with her? Try to find the treat she loves more than anything and have these folks be the only people she gets them from.

Do you have a "Da Bird" toy? It is a toy that has a stick with a string which feathers are attached to. It allows great play without getting too close. Play is certainly a good thing - have them drag this toy behind them.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a bottle baby. I found Lucky only a few hours old. She hisses at most people, other than me. She also likes to swat and sometimes bite. My vet told me from his experience, hand raised kitties can be like this. He said Mother cats teach their babies how to behave, with out a mother they sometimes don't have good manners. I warn people that she may not be nice. She can be a sweet loving girl, she can also be nasty.