Cat hiding from sitter

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there

So lately my cats been very scared of outsiders. He usually hides in the window or under my futon when someone comes in and I have to wait for him to realize I'm there. He hasn't done this until recently when it started getting colder and I have had to turn on the heater (he's scared of it so I only turn it on when necessary and I'm home)

I went out of town for Christmas and my friend is sitting him. She has before several times and he always has not had s problem with her; he adores her and always is very loving. But today he hid under the futon the whole time she was there.

I don't know what's wrong when I'm home we play, he cuddles etc like normal but he is very nervous around others that are not me,

She said he had used his litter box and had eaten and she checks in him twice a day. I'm just worried he won't eat or something bad. I'll be gone from last night till Monday.

Is this normal or what could it mean? He has shown no health problems that I have seen he's 9 months old neutered male

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Amy Ballard, it's normal for your kitty to behave like this. It's just seperation anxiety he's going through. All along you are around and he's pretty much use to that and though the sitter had been there several times and he does play with her, it's because he suddenly felt your absence and was alone the night before and now was left alone with the sitter.
Cat's knows our routines. And proably he waited for you to come home but instead saw someone else.
As long as he's eating and using the litter box, he should be fine. The next time if you have to take short trips, leave some unwashed clothings and just leave them in places your kitty likes to sleep. This way, he still can smell you and still have a sense of security.
Give him lots of hugs and kisses when you come back

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey tom

On the off chance he doesn't eat or use box what should I do? I think he will be fine as he's eaten and used the box so far but I just want to know a what if

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Unless he has a medical condition, he might do that but since you said he shown no health problems, don't think he'll do that.
Don't worry about him not eating. He can be hungry for awhile. But if he's not eating, ask the baby sitter to stay in another room out of sight or leave the food there and leave the house come back in an hour's time. If he is hungry, he'll eat. But so far so good right?
So don't worry about it.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 10 year old Starbuck always hides from my cat-sitter or any other friends who visit us.  She does this even when we are home. My other 3 cats all come out and ask the cat-sitter for attention.  My friend has been cat-sitting for me since before we adopted Starbuck so you would think she has had plenty of time to adjust. My friend treats our cats as her family too.  Starbuck only likes mommy and daddy.  I agree that as long as your baby is eating and using the bathroom then things are fine.  I think she will continue to do so when your cat-sitter is not there.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When my friend came back he was playful and everything and ate his wet food so I don't know what happened earlier but he was fine last night! Just figured an update would be good

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
When my friend came back he was playful and everything and ate his wet food so I don't know what happened earlier but he was fine last night! Just figured an update would be good
At least this eased your mind. So don't worry so much ;)