Cat hiding from sitter

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there

So lately my cats been very scared of outsiders. He usually hides in the window or under my futon when someone comes in and I have to wait for him to realize I'm there. He hasn't done this until recently when it started getting colder and I have had to turn on the heater (he's scared of it so I only turn it on when necessary and I'm home)

I went out of town for Christmas and my friend is sitting him. She has before several times and he always has not had s problem with her; he adores her and always is very loving. But today he hid under the futon the whole time she was there.

I don't know what's wrong when I'm home we play, he cuddles etc like normal but he is very nervous around others that are not me,

She said he had used his litter box and had eaten and she checks in him twice a day. I'm just worried he won't eat or something bad. I'll be gone from last night till Monday.

Is this normal or what could it mean? He has shown no health problems that I have seen he's 9 months old neutered male

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well for starters, don't worry about what's not happening yet.  You could drive yourself nuts doing that and you're away, and you don't have a magic wand to change things.

If he's eating and bathroom habits are normal that's a positive sign.

As for the shying away from guests.  Did you ever have a guest that teased him or scared him in anyway.  Perhaps not directly,  just a loud booming voice or something.

My boy cat was like that.  He was just used to me and my husband and hid from people, we also didn't have much traffic in our apt either.

I'm sure another member will chime in with some ideas on what to do.

Does your boy have a cat condo or box he can go in that's his, instead of going under the sofa.  I'm a big fan of cardboard boxes, clean and free from your local market.  I make windows, but a soft towel or small blanket in it, and it will be a safe place that's just his.  And what's great is you can move the box to different rooms to be close to you but to him it's the same place.  

Please keep us updated.  Would love to hear more.

Warm regards, Hope and my 2 sweet angels
Simon & Chestnut

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
HK once ran under my feet, as he often does, but this time i was wearing work boots and didn't see him.  i partly stepped on him, and it hurt and scared him.  he hid from me when i was wearing boots for a year.  maybe your sitter had something of that sort happen.

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maxine, a long hair calico, has been with me for 3 years now after a shelter rescue. I know nothing of her prior life, but she is now 6, and is the sweetest cat imaginable. Loves to play, makes no noise, has never bitten or scratched, etc. However, no one visiting me has ever seen Max. Max is always parked on the back of the couch looking out the window, and as soon as she sees anyone coming she runs under the bed, and doesn't come out until that person is gone. This can be hours, and how she holds it in I don't know. 

Anyway, the purpose of my post is to assure you that your cat's behavor isn't unique. Also, I don't know if your sitter ever fed your kitty, but that's going to be my next experiment. I'm going to ask my next guest to try and feed Max; entice her out from under the bed with food. Maybe that will break the ice.