cat hiding and introducing. to new cat

lorimer71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is the scenario so far. I rescued cat 1, lets call him the Brute because that's what he is being right now. This cat is about 8 months. I then rescue a 2nd cat from the same home. Lets call him Whiz because that's his name. Cat 1 was out and about after a couple days and has settled in very well. The 2nd cat, which is about 3.5 years old, came about 3-4 weeks later and is hiding, hiding and hiding. He has come out several times to sit on my lap and get pettings and some treats. Other than that he just hides. O.K. here come the questions.

1. At what stage should i introduce the 2 cats. The 1st cat use to follow the wnd cat around, but now goes up to him and hisses, so i have been keeping them apart.

2. When the second cat starts to sit on my lap can i move him to another part of the room with me to try to get him use to other parts of the rooms he's in?

3. The 2nd cat has been eating just wet food because he has a urinary tract infection (UTI). He also has(had?) fleas and tape worms. He also eats like the Russians are in the harbour. My God my old dogs eat slower than Whiz does. He was having a problem with using the litter box but i think that's under control.

4. Whiz is a frightened cat which i have had for 16 days. I think he thinks he' ll never get another bite. What should i do about feeding them when they are together? I'm afraid the big one ( Whiz) will eat all the food for both cats when i do introduce them. How do i handle this.

I think that's about it. Any help would be appreciated. I' ll post some photos of them if i can ever get whis out of his cubby hole.

Best,
Richard

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I will do my best to answer some of your questions!

1. At what stage should i introduce the 2 cats. The 1st cat use to follow the wnd cat around, but now goes up to him and hisses, so i have been keeping them apart.

Give the cats some time to adjust to living inside your home.  You can start scent swapping now and see how it goes.  I will post a few links to help you out at the bottom of this post.

2. When the second cat starts to sit on my lap can i move him to another part of the room with me to try to get him use to other parts of the rooms he's in?

Sure, but he might just get up and leave.  You could start to scatter a few treats or some catnip around to see if you can get him to explore on his own.  Also try to play with him in that room and see if he might venture off .

3. The 2nd cat has been eating just wet food because he has a urinary tract infection (UTI). He also has(had?) fleas and tape worms. He also eats like the Russians are in the harbour. My God my old dogs eat slower than Whiz does. He was having a problem with using the litter box but i think that's under control.

He may not have been used to getting enough food.  This will change as he gets accustomed to always having enough to eat.  It may take a few weeks. 

4. Whiz is a frightened cat which i have had for 16 days. I think he thinks he' ll never get another bite. What should i do about feeding them when they are together? I'm afraid the big one ( Whiz) will eat all the food for both cats when i do introduce them. How do i handle this.

You may have to keep them separated when eating.  My two indoor cats eat in different locations.  I used to put one in a closed room, but now use a baby gate and keep an eye on them.  I don't free feed so it makes it easier.  We have two set meal times. 

The new cat who is very nervous and frightened needs some time to adjust.  Do you have a feliway diffuser to help calm him?  Also I have had good luck with liquid Composure Max.  It also helps a frightened cat. 

When you are interacting with Whiz, is is afraid of you?  You might be sure that you are sitting on the floor or next to him at his level, not looming over him.  How is he with eye contact?  Some cats do not like direct eye contact and find it very threatening.  Keep you gaze down or look over the top of his head. 

Here are a few links to help you out with cat to cat introductions.  Take it slowly!

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/introducing-your-cat-new-cat

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/