Cat hides when I get busy cleaning??

luvzmykatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wondered if this was weird behavior. My short haired domestic cat Rasta will hide under my bed when I start running around cleaning or get busy putting stuff away. She won't come out even if I slow down a minute and call her. She's a very docile cat by the way and totally sweet. Not a mean agressive bone in her body with stranger she hides as well or goes limp if they pick her up like the Ragdall breeds I've heard of. Ricky my other pretty docile cat loves to watch me work. He only hides when the and if the vacume clean appears...

presto

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are certain things that make my cats scramble for a hiding place. The vacuum is a no brainer, although my adult male (my tightest bond) understands as soon as I say "ALL DONE", or "YOU CAN COME OUT NOW". He immediately appears as if he understands english! However, they also run as soon as the ironing board comes out, although there's absolutely no noise associated with it. I never got that... There are also certain things that put them on "alert" - like openeing the front door. They'll just freeze and fixate on the front door, just to make sure that no one strange is about to enter.

I think the behaviors you're talking about are typical and idiosycratic to all cats. Don't knock yourself out trying to understand them!

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvzmykatz

Just wondered if this was weird behavior. My short haired domestic cat Rasta will hide under my bed when I start running around cleaning or get busy putting stuff away. She won't come out even if I slow down a minute and call her. She's a very docile cat by the way and totally sweet. Not a mean agressive bone in her body with stranger she hides as well or goes limp if they pick her up like the Ragdall breeds I've heard of. Ricky my other pretty docile cat loves to watch me work. He only hides when the and if the vacume clean appears...
How would you react if something twenty times your height started running around you making loud noises

sounds like a perfectly sensible cat to me

princessesme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it is perfectly normal.
Most of the time, my girl doesn't mind too much, of course if the vacuum comes out though, she is gone. But, my girl will hide if I am baking. The oven in the home we rent is really old so it screeches when we open it, and she will not come out until I am totally done.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smokie can't stand the vacuum, Bandit attacks it.

Smokie is also afraid of:

The Mop

The Broom

and Windex!?