cat have no respect for things or objects and constantly making messes

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, disciplining a cat has the opposite effect as it would a dog. It's just the way it is.

Nothing but positive reinforcement works for cats, period. It's one of the many things that makes our furry feline's unique, and sometimes, simply giving in or finding compromise.

After reading through this entire thread, there's really just one solution that truly will help and work.

Allowing outdoor access.

Now I understand he is not street-smart. I have one too who I raised from day 1, Krissy has no fear of dogs since her companion from the beginning was my great dane, she has no fear of cars since she went with me every day to work, but rather than keep her indoors only and deprive her of the great outdoors entirely, I cat-proofed the backyard, adding stiff chicken wire around the top of the fence, all the way around it. She can not get out, but has all the pleasures of basking in the sunshine, watching/chattering to birds, pouncing bugs, fresh air, nothing short of pure heaven for a cat who is meant to enjoy the great outdoors, but safely.

If your yard is not fenced, I would consider creating an enclosure/sanctuary. 

You will be so happy when you see the changes in your cats. All of the stress of trashing your lovely home will be a thing of the past. 

Since they will have many more years of life with you, it's so worth doing. 

Cats really vary in personality and while some do great in an indoor only home, others just never really do. 

Last edited:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I didn't read all the posts, but from the cat's perspective, those objects are just objects and that's all they'll ever be. They're not priceless to a cat that doesn't know the meaning of expensive or valuable.

For most problems with cats, I think it's best to work around them instead of trying to get the cat to change. I don't know what to suggest about the sliding table top, but for the DVD player, you could get a different tv unit that either hides the DVD player or puts it on a lower shelf. You could put something on top as suggested. What you can't ever do is teach the cat what the DVD player is or why you don't want him to sit on it or sit in front of the tv...I'm lucky my cat doesn't jump on the table or kitchen counters. She's does other stuff people wouldn't like though - like quickly bite when she's grumpy and I'm giving her attention. She seems to deliberately play in my room in the middle of the night sometimes like she wants to wake me up. She tries to wake me up in the morning many, many, MANY times even though there's dry kibble out for her to eat. She's also such a picky eater that it's a problem, but different cats are going to do different things just like people, so you can't expect them to act like some other cat.

I don't think cats know when they've been bad...they just know when you're not happy with them because you're yelling or sound angry or upset. They may associate it with what they just did or they may associate it with what they're about to do or may just think you get angry suddenly for no reason...

I mostly just work around my cat and life is easier and nicer. I found out to my horror that my cat had been drinking out of my water glass on my nightstand that I keep there. After pausing to think about it, I decided to just let her and designated certain glasses to her. What was funny was she shot me a dirty look when she went to do it in front of me because she does know I didn't want her touching them because I used to say, "No!" and move them further away from her. I did have some mishaps afterwards when I accidentally drank out of "her" glass a couple times. She needs water anyway so it's actually a win for me. But I just work around her instead of fighting her and everything's good when it comes to possessions.

As for a cat tree for a big cat, there are some out there. Two of my sister's cats are 15lbs - 20 lbs and the huge, tall cat tree she got holds both just fine with their jumping and leaping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blake's destroysing walls................ he meows unhappily at the window like he wants out. The wall is an exterior wall near the window. He runs everywhere and it's got so bad that he hops on me in his path. Which I'm trying to conceive so I doubt several blows to the stomach a day help any thing.): I tried to find him a new home but he bit the person who came to look at him...... he sleeps next to me in bed (by his force not my want cause he hogs the bed) and he sits next to me during the day. So it's not like he hates me. In fact I think he secretly likes me. But he's becomi NH such a handful that I'm worried he will have to be put down in the next yr or two. He is about 5 now. But that's not a long enough life for a cat

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

twckittenmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He needs more entrainment but he doesn't like toys or strings or playing with other cats. Its all a fight to him. He was being played with by my kitten and he got immediately angry and shook the poor thing by the scruff.

Last edited:

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are seriously looking to rehome him I wonder if you could find a home for him on TCS.  I heard other people say they found their cats on this site.  any suggestions @catwoman707