Cat hates new kitten and possibly ME! :(

lindzerbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male, neutered cat named Riley who is just over a year old and the sweetest, most loveable little guy in the world. Seriously, I've had cats before and he totally takes the cake. He is SO active and always wants to play, so since my boyfriend and I are usually tired after a long day, sometimes we don't feel like playing. Anyway, we thought he might like a companion, so recently we adopted a female kitten (just about 8 weeks old) named Sophie.

I read all the suggestions on introducing them - putting Sophie in a separate room, letting them sniff each other out, bringing her out in a carrier and letting them meet. All of that. Well, the first time Riley met Sophie, he didn't hiss, growl or show any signs of aggression. He kind of followed her around the room and then when she would show interest in him, he would run away scared. After a few days of this, he started chasing her around and kind of "attacking" her by jumping on her back and biting her neck. I read that this is just him showing his dominance, so I didn't really intervene unless Sophie cried out (she is tiny, after all). After a few days of this dominance type behavior, Riley just began to retreat completely.

He hides in the closet (which he never did before) and he rarely shows me any affection/attention. He's also a lot quieter lately - he used to "talk" to us and purr constantly. Now it seems like he never makes a sound. I guess I would equate his behavior to a zombie - just quietly sulking around the house. He doesn't really seem to have interest in playing either. I'll tempt him with his favorite toys and some times he will give me a swat or two, but most of the time he just sits there staring. Also, I noticed he had diarrhea for a couple of days, so I took him to the vet and he got a clean bill of health.

I just want to know if this depression behavior is normal and what (if anything) I can do. It breaks my heart to see him so down. Also, I don't want him to lose his awesome personality. Is there a chance he will never be the same ol' guy again or am I just being overly worried?

I've had both cats for 2 weeks now, which I know isn't a lot of time in cat world. I'm just concerned because all of the information I've found about introducing new cats describes the resident cat hissing and growling and eventually growing out of it. I can't find any information about the cat becoming depressed.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions you can give!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 weeks is not long at all.  Sometimes it can take a month or longer for cats to truly accept one another and get on the track to becoming friends.  However, she is too young.  8 weeks old is very tiny and she can't defend herself.  He can really hurt her "asserting his dominance".  I would keep them separated at all times for at least 2 more weeks.  Then, only have her out supervised and if he starts showing aggression intervene immediately! 

While they are separated, give him plenty of love, praise and affection.  No getting on to him.  He feels you are taking her side over his.  So just reassure him during this time that you still love him, too.

You can try positive reinforcement introduction.  Get a baby gate or something and separate them.  Get them something yummy and place each dish on both sides of the gate a couple of feet apart.... However far apart they both need to be to be comfortable.  Each mealtime, move them closer and closer until they are side by side and do not need the barrier between them. 

Also when she is out and supervised.  Have her on your lap (or him, it doesn't matter) and tempt him (and her with treats) for every good and positive reaction aka no growling, hissing or slapping, you praise them both and give them a treat.  If they can do that several times in a row and not have a bad reaction, you can try interaction playing with both of them.  Try Da Bird or a laser light.  PS- any bad reactions with treat training, just say a simple "no" and do not give a treat.  Do not overreact or "Discipline" him in any way.  Just a short and simple "No" and no treat will do.

Remember this can take some time so do not get discouraged but do not, absolutely do not let him attack her... She is too young and tiny to defend herself and he can really hurt her without him meaning to.  I would separate them until she is about 10 weeks old completely but that is just me and my opinion. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lindzerbee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your help, P3 and the King! Sophie is all set up in her own room with toys, food, water and a bed. I just feel so bad at night cause the room is next to my bedroom and she cries and cries :( I try to remember that it's in her best interest though.

As for Riley, I never get on him. I will try the positive reinforcement, but he will absolutely not take treats! I've even tempted him with tuna and all he will eat is one flavor of one brand of food. He is so picky! I will just shower him with extra love and affection and hope that works.

He actually seems a lot more relaxed this weekend. i just hope they become the best of friends.

Thanks again! :)