Cat Hates New Enclosure

pizzaman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. Im a new member here with a problem. I have an indoor cat who loves being outside when she can. I built her an outdoor enclosure that connects to the house via cat door, but when I put her inside she freaks and meows constantly. She continues this until I get her out. I want to train her to use it, but unsure how without making it look like I'm torturing my cat haha. Any ideas?

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that she does not know how to use the cat door. Try showing her how to use it by putting half of her through (holding her) a few times, then put her all the way through and sit there and show her how to open the door by opening it with your hand while she watches. Then coax her with a toy, treats or nip to come back through on her own.

If the enclosure is big enough, sit in there with her and read a book or something. Let her know that it's ok. If you cant get in it (too small) just sit next to it and put some nip, toys and treats in there for her.

I would start out with a few 1 min sessions so she doesn't get stressed out. Then increase the time as she gets used to it.

Good luck, she is lucky to have an outdoor enclosure!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pizzaman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Ill give it a shot! She better enjoy it haha!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know much, but one thing I know for certain is you can never try to force something new on a cat. If anything, trying to keep them away from something new is what gets them interested in it. Its best they explore on their own time and before you know it they will love it.

For us, I just left the cat door propped open for a bit, and you may be able to try the same. Then after used to that, I just used greenies tossed through as incentive and they both learned quick.

Also, I bought a clear cat door, as I heard that the non-transparent ones can be intimidating to them since they can't tell if its safe on the other side.