Cat Hater?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aloof human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, we also have a dog, but it is an outside dog except for when it rains or snows. the cat is also not allowed outside when it snows(unless supervised). i had a friend whose cat froze to death outside the year Ca had a freeze.

this is off topic, but my husband had the cat declawed (front paws) when she went in for her spaying. at the time we lived in portugal, and he could find only one vet who would do the declawing procedure(because it's considered barbaric). i told him not to declaw her because she goes outside at least once a day and plays around our yard. i told him claws are part of the cat's natural defenses. even though he loves animals, he is for declawing. his parents/grandparents have always had their cats declawed, so that may have something to do with it.

i think it is unnatural to declaw any animal, whether it is a domesticated cat, dog, or a wild cat ,like tigers and lions. my step mother is a huge cat lover(she has had as many as 13 cats) and she took my side on the declawing, advising him against it. he wants to take in another cat. i have been browsing this site, and i see there is something called soft paws(sp?). i have told him about this, and he says it sounds like a good alternative
i also told my neighbor about soft paws(they have a cat as well). i know that cats calm down alot after being "fixed" which is another reason i am against declawing. i'm not bashing anyone who thinks declawing is ok, i just feel bad for animals who have been, or are going to be, declawed.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're right. I'm totally against declawing myself and a cat that goes outside needs claws to defend itself. I think a cat that is declawed should have extra supervision when outside, even if it isn't snowing and a lot of people feel that a cat that is declawed ought to be kept indoors for extra protection.

Many people don't understand that declawing a cat is the same as having part of your fingers up to the first knuckle removed. Imagine what that would be like. We couldn't even type these messages here back and forth, couldn't work in an office. Imagine the pain! It is not only the nails of the cat that gets removed.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably wont' find anyone on this site that is for declawing. If anyone suggests getting it done to their cat they are quickly convinced why it is a bad idea. So you are in a like-minded crowd

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aloof human

i guess i thought that the cat would continue to give me space, but now i see that she might just genuinely want some attention. i just tend to be in my own world(thought gathering, reading, etc.) and i need 2 hours of complete solitude per day. i will make an effort to loosen up a bit more where the kitty is concerned.
I've gotta ask, not to be mean or anything,, but how in the world do you get 2 complete hours of solitude per a day, with a child!!!! I have a 4 year old and I don't get more then and hour at night without her,, or even my husband for that matter!!! Ya gotta let me know how you get that to work!!! lol....
Not that I mind only having an hour to myself,, because I love my daughter, and my kitten,, I just don't know what more then an hour to myself is like..

Good luck,,, give in to the cat!! You'll be happy you do.. Once you give the little guy some attention they'll go on their own, and leave ya alone.. I wish my kitty would sit with me more,, but she dos her own thing,, gets a rub here and there, and she's off to do her own thing!!! Now try a dog on for size!! You'll never get peace.. lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aloof human

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

I've gotta ask, not to be mean or anything,, but how in the world do you get 2 complete hours of solitude per a day, with a child!!!! I have a 4 year old and I don't get more then and hour at night without her,, or even my husband for that matter!!! Ya gotta let me know how you get that to work!!! lol....
Not that I mind only having an hour to myself,, because I love my daughter, and my kitten,, I just don't know what more then an hour to myself is like..
oh i just have her take a nap, that normally works
. it seems that the older they get, the more self reliant they becomes, plus she's an only child. i know for a FACT she will be a cat lover when she is an adult

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read through the other responses and I don't think that I read anything that said this and if there was, forgive me!

If you don't want any attention from the cat, if you haven't already, turn over all feeding and litterbox duties to your husband or daughter. I have been told that cats will tend to gravitate towards the people that they know are taking care of it, and from personal experience, it holds true.