Cat hasn't pooped in 2 days?

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
9 month old kitten is a pretty regular pooper (1x daily). All her kittenhood she free fed dry, and had 1/2 wet in the am and pm. She's put on some weight, so we have started feeding all wet. It's been about two weeks of her being off dry food. It's been a pate for 1-2 meals, and minced for 1 meal (sometimes the pate gets split into 2 meals for a total of 3, but it's always a 3 oz can. The minced is also about 3 oz's).

She has not pooped since Tuesday evening. So, it's going on two days. She switched to wet food about 2 weeks ago, so there has been a diet change and I'm trying to give my worry a little grace because of that. However, I thought I'd check in here too. What are ya'lls thoughts? When should I really be worrying about the not pooping? Is there anything I should be doing?

At what point do I call the vet? Stinks we are going into a weekend, as that does make me a little more nervous - tomorrow's the last day we could possibly get a work-in apptmnt at the regular vet until Mon.

Other things:
- She is fine with me pressing on her tummy, doesn't appear to find that uncomfortable.
- She hasn't been drinking a ton of water, but has been urinating (thinking that's a wet food thing)?
- the last bm she had on Tuesday was hard at the beginning and wet and mildly greenish at the end. We are wondering if she's got food sensitivities on top of these diet changes as a loose bm a week isn't that uncommon, but tbd.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be a diet change. I would still encourage water and see how it goes. Dry food has fiber and bulk so could make her more regular. As long as she is still eating and her abdomen isn't hard and distended when you palpate it, she should be OK. Monday would be 5 days, so if she hasn't gone by then, definitely call and see if you can give her some Miralax to get things going. Sometimes vets have answering services you can leave questions with. Ask how much and how often.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or if your vet doesn't have an answering service but you do use auto ship from Chewy, you can speak with a vet through Chewy's website if you need an answer quicker.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Take her in today, friday, asap.
She may need an enema.
My Vet said 3 days max for BM.
Greenish at the end sounds worrisome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slowblink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Or if your vet doesn't have an answering service but you do use auto ship from Chewy, you can speak with a vet through Chewy's website if you need an answer quicker.
i did not know about that service. Don't use autoship currently, but that's really cool & good to know! Thanks!

Thank you di and bob di and bob and cat nap cat nap for your responses! I'm thinking I will call the vet today, but it's true she's had no changes other than the no poops so I feel a little better checking in, hearing their thoughts & inquiring about miralax for monday