Cat hasn’t been the same since dental surgery.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw, poor baby ... maybe cat owners who have cats that have had strokes could offer some helpful tips. Feel better little one 💕 :dizzycat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hellocassini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The next step that the vet said to try was to do the MRI and begin seeing a neurologist, which was about $4k for just the initial diagnostic and they'd have to anesthetize him again. Over the course of all of this, Odin's pain seems to have faded and he's settled into a new routine. He is no longer sharp (he was always a very playful hunter) and he sleeps much, much harder. He stumbles when he walks and no longer bathes himself. We find him standing and just looking confused or kind of faded, it's like he is constantly losing track of his thoughts. I cried about it for about three days before I realized that we probably almost lost him-- and I'm so lucky to have him here in any state. He seems very happy, loves his food, follows us around like a heat-seeking missile, and vocalizes. I just called the vet to notify them that we are not going to pursue further treatment. Odin's experience is nearly identical to the kitten in the first story here.

I might miss his old personality but... none of us ever become UN-disabled, do we? These things just happen in life and it's up to those who love us to accept us in our new condition. He is happy and pain-free and that's all I've wanted for him in life. He enjoys a sunspot more than ever and treats his washcloth baths like a mini spa day and soaks up the attention. I'll miss my very opinionated, grumpy little old man cat but he's never been happier. It's going to be ok.

Thanks to everyone for your help and support. I'm so grateful, more than you all can possibly know. He's on my lap right now, sleeping hard and extremely happy. Maybe he'll come back some but if he doesn't, I'm just going to make him as comfortable as I can. Any further advice is welcome. <3

Hellocassini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, for what it's worth, I did ask my vet about whether the neurological damage may have been caused by the Bravecto but he said that the symptoms are different and that the issues experienced after Bravecto tend to subside and change. After doing a lot of research online, I do agree. His symptoms are exactly in line with a stroke, as is his recovery. The vet also said that his symptoms would have started within 24 hours of administering Bravecto but there were a few days in-between that and his surgery.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad his pain seems to have subsided and that he seems happy. That's the most important thing, pain free and happy! We can all wish that for not only our cats, but ourselves as well :)

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
aw... for what it is worth .. my husband had a stroke 3 years ago. never back to his old self 100 % , BUT he did recover a LOT of what he lost and is much better than we thought he would be ..today ! My brother in law had a dog that suffered a stroke during surgery , and tho barney had some neurological issues after that , he adapted just fine , and live a few more years just fine . Keep loving on your fur baby , and he may amaze you with what he might recover. I'm a nurse ,and in humans we call it a " brain attack' .. similar to a heart attack, but in the brain. They say ' brains dont heal ' .but I beg to differ. I never say never . its a journey of healing , and love can inspire much recovery. Best to you as you discover your new normal ! 💕 :lovecat2:

Hellocassini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to let you all know that we had to say goodbye to Odin. He was unable to poop and quit eating. He also started to develop cancerous spots out of nowhere and just… it was so hard. It’s been two weeks but I just couldn’t bring myself to post. I’m so heartbroken, I can barely function. But that’s a problem that I guess will just take time. I wanted to thank you all for your advice.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry to be reading this :hugs:. Yes, they say time heals all wounds. It really is true. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but someday you will be able to think of Odin once again and remember the happy times, rather than this very unhappy ending. I promise. I lost my soul cat several years ago now, and even though I still get teary eyed when I write about it, I do think of him with "happy thoughts", if that makes any sense at all.

If it helps you, many people write a tribute to their cats in our Crossing the Bridge forum, telling us all about their furry friends who have passed, and include pictures, etc. Often just writing about them and hearing other peoples thoughts helps. If nothing else, it lets you know you are not alone in your grief.

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to read this, and so sorry for your loss. Thank you for letting us know. Odin is in no pain on the other side of the rainbow bridge. Praying for comfort for you . We pet parents know this empty , numb feeling. Hugs to you now . :hearthrob: 🙏 :redheartpump: