Cat Has Strange Injury

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I noticed my cats fur felt weird on his neck, closer inspection I have found he has a giant wound there that is recent. He will not stop scratching here, so I think the wound is from him scratching it. He's also missing a huge chunk of hair here. I took a picture and it looks pretty disturbing, not sure what it could be. I can't get him to a vet until Monday, so any suggestions are welcome. I should also mention he was in a cat fight about 2 weeks ago that was pretty bad, I took him to a vet after and they gave him antibiotics that lasted 2 weeks. Since then, he has not gone outside at all.
20171110_174245.jpg

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Judging by your description/backstory, I would say it is most likely a wound from the cat fight. I would gently wash it with water, and try to keep him from scratching. Definitely get to the vet! That looks nasty.

Walterismycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently had to bring my cat in for a lump on his neck, she said it was likely from a cat fight, and just gave me some medication for him, and it eventually popped, and he was completely bald where the lump once was. That would be my best guess.

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you live, but most towns have an emergency animal hospital or on-call vet for after-hours. Have you tried either of those?

In the meantime, it wouldn't be a lot of fun, but you should wrap his neck with gauze or something to prevent him scratching that site. It looks pretty nasty...

I don't know whether it's safe or not, but I've dabbed a little Polysporin on my cat's minor scratches - ONLY if he can't reach that spot to lick it off. If that cut/scratch is on the back of his neck, he wouldn't be able to get to the medicine.

Good luck with your cat. Has he been nutured yet? If not, then perhaps you should consider this while he's at the vet. He'll be less likely to get into fights, and this will help to control the cat population.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is neutured, it is another cat coming into our yard and attacking our cats. It killed one of our other ones.

Found out the wound was feline dermatitis.

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whoa! That's one nasty cat! Is there anything you can do about it? Does s/he belong to a neighbor or someone you know? If a cat had killed one of my fur babies, I'd report it to the Humane Shelter!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is a neighbor and highly unlikely they will do anything to keep their cat in. :/