Cat has runny brown poop since he was dewormed and treated for a stomach infection.

azizah manzur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been having runny almost completely liquis brown poop since he was dewormed and treated for a stomach infection and diarrhea 2 weeks ago. He's pooping 2-3 times a day. He has a healthy appetite and seems active and is acting normally. Is there something wrong with him? He eats Whiskas canned food but gets greenish grainy soft stools when he eats dry food. The vet also said he is allergic to raw chicken which is what he was eating when he was a kitten. Just thought I'd cover all the bases foodwise there hah. Thanks to anyone who'll reply. x

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It sounds as if he hasn't got over his stomach infection yet. What did the vet give you to treat it with? Has he finished all his medication? It would be a good idea to call your vet again and ask his advice. Two weeks of diarrhea could lead to him being dehydrated, so you should try to get this cleared up as soon as you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azizah manzur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He had mucus like poop before. He took antibacterial (diazole) for about a week, which is what the vet recommended, and some paracetamol for his fever. He was dewormed and injected with more antibacterials and something to make him eat again because he wasn't eating at all when he was sick. Now he seems perfectly normal except for the runny poop.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Did the vet really give you paracetamol for him? This is highly toxic for cats. It can kill them. Are you sure it wasn't something else?

http://adelaidevet.com.au/about/patients/cats-and-paracetamol-do-not-mix

I have heard of diazole before, but I've not heard of it being used for cats. I think you should call your vet again and ask what you should do about his stomach. Is there another vet you could take him too? Or any shelters you could call? Shelters often have vets who are more experienced at treating dog and cats. You can't give a cat the same medicine you would use to treat other animals or people, it often does more harm than good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azizah manzur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, the vet gave paracetamol (Fever Go) for 3 days. My cat seems okay and hasn't reacted badly to it at all.  The first vet we went to gave me some anti diarrhea medication (Scourvet), but the instructions are a bit confusing so I'm not sure if I'm giving him the right doses. It says to give my cat 2ml of the meds with 50ml of water so I've just been mixing it with his drinking water and he doesn't drink much because he eats wet food. My city doesn't have any shelters and only has 3 vet clinics. Another forum suggested I give him some unsweetened yogurt? I might give that a try too.