Cat has painful gas - all suggestions welcomed

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, trying to make a long story short here. We recently adopted 2 Tonkinese girls ages 2 and 3. They came from a breeder with bad practices and were abandoned by their new owner before finding their way to us. They are lovely, sweet cats.
Freya, the 2 year old, has awful digestion and terrible gas pains. She used to vomit daily. After many vet visits, she was put on a prescription diet and given metoclopramide. The meds helped a bit and she was feeling better. She was playing more but getting easily winded. She has wheezed since we adopted her. Her old owners told us “that’s just her”. At her first vet visits they suspected bronchitis and put her on an antibiotic and we thought she’d gotten better. Anyhow, she started vomiting again, so I took her back and here she had pneumonia! (the vet also mentioned that her intestines were just full of gas) - this is after her new diet and her new meds.
Anyhow, I think her pneumonia is getting better, but now her gas is getting worse! This poor little cat. She is SO uncomfortable. She’s now reluctant to eat. I let her have wet treats called Tiki Stix just to get fluid in her. I will definitely call the vet on Monday, but I suspect the gas will still be an issue.
Shes not a fast eater, so why is this poor cat so gassy? And are there any meds I can ask the vet for To dissolve this gas? It really seems like she doesn’t pass gas. Her stools are usually small, but normal.
I welcome any ideas, thank you!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the cat still on the prescription food? Prescription foods are full of poor quality ingredients which can cause tummy issues including gas. What were the cats eating at the old home? Cheap brands of dry food can also cause tummy issues. General food intolerances and allergies can also cause tummy issues.

A high quality limited ingredient type diet might be helpful. I think adding a probiotic to the food would be beneficial too.

Elevating the food bowl may making eating easier. Less straining to crouch down and lean into abowl to eat which may mean less air being ingested to cause gas.

Did the vet rule out any gastrointestinal issue that might be causing gas?

Worms can cause gassiness but I assume your cat has been dewormed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So she was abandoned at a veterinarian’s office, and I believe they were checked for worms and all there. They were vaccinated and spayed by the vet (where they were left) before he let the foster people take them.
Their foster family fed them Wellness and Nutro (which I assumed were quality because they were pricey).
Now yes they are still on the prescription diet. I think my vet got distracted (understandably) by the pneumonia and wanted to deal with that first before further worrying about her gastrointestinal issues. 😢 I will definitely follow up soon. Thank you for your input!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Gas in cats can be caused by so many issues, and the underlying issue needs to be tracked down and eliminated. It could well be the food she's getting. Many prescription foods are less than idea, as LTS3 LTS3 mentioned. Basically, I'm just reinforcing what she told you. There are many gas remedies for cats, so I would ask your vet which one would work best for you.

And thank you for giving these abandoned babies a chance at a decent life, and one filled with caring and love.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gas in cats can be caused by so many issues, and the underlying issue needs to be tracked down and eliminated. It could well be the food she's getting. Many prescription foods are less than idea, as LTS3 LTS3 mentioned. Basically, I'm just reinforcing what she told you. There are many gas remedies for cats, so I would ask your vet which one would work best for you.

And thank you for giving these abandoned babies a chance at a decent life, and one filled with caring and love.
Thank you, she does seem a bit better since I switched her back (small meals) to her other food. I think it’s easier on her tummy. Thank you for your suggestions.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
SO glad this cat ended up with such a loving owner! Don’t know much about gas but am certain you have been given excellent suggestions by the TCS sages here. Sounds as if she started off with a rough diet & it will take time for her gut to recognize these newer and healthier feeds. Heartily agree w/ others that sometimes the foods the vet recommends are, after all, not so great and filled with unneeded gums and grains. I’ve been listing towards rabbit & quail with excellent results at the other end, and stick to wet not dry.