Cat has not eaten a normal meal in over a week

Kikaioh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello. Thank you all for any help.

My cat Swirly (female, spayed, normally 10lbs, currently 6lbs) was diagnosed with large-cell intestinal lymphoma about 2 months ago. It started with bouts of vomiting, then inappetence, and at a certain point she looked to be at death's door. She then saw an oncologist who gave her an initial round of Asparaginase, and she rebounded almost overnight. She has since been on the COP protocol, cycling back and forth between Vincristine and Cyclophosphomide each week.

Although the chemotherapy has been surprisingly successful (no abdominal signs of cancer on her last ultrasound), the side effects unfortunately seem to have taken their toll. She would go for about a week of doing somewhat well, and then at some point vomit --- and after vomiting, would nosedive a bit, snub the foods she was eating, and take a day or two to recover.

Her vomiting episodes unfortunately seem to be quite traumatic for her. At first she snubbed specific brands, but at some point about a month ago snubbed wet food altogether. I then switched her to dry food, which seemed hopeful, since she loved eating it. But that came to an end as well.

Sunday of last week she wound up throwing up in the afternoon, and again later that night. Unfortunately, she has not bounced back as she had in previous times, and has almost completely refused to eat on her own since.

When I expressed my early concern with her oncologist, I was told to wait for close to 5 days to see if her appetite might eventually come back. I was also told not to syringe-feed her, due to fear of her developing a food aversion. After some researching online, however, I realized how dangerous it could be for her to go for 3 or more days without eating food. After speaking with an online veterinarian who expressed similar concern, I eventually decided to syringe-feed her on the night of the third day, later updating her oncologist on the decision.

Unfortunately, in part due to my fear of causing Swirly further food aversion, and my general lack of understanding of her caloric needs, I did not syringe-feed her very much in those first couple of days, and her weight dropped by almost half a pound. Due to the New Year holiday as well it was difficult to communicate with her oncologist for guidance, though she thankfully took time out on New Year's day to write back with further thoughts and input on Swirly's caloric needs for the syringe-feeding (250 calories daily). I was really surprised when I learned how many calories Swirly needed, and have spent the last three days ramping up the frequency of feedings I've been giving her, as well as mixing her syringe food (Hill's a/d) with a high-calorie supplement, Under the Weather Ready Cal.

Thankfully, after weighing her off and on the past week on a baby scale, it feels like her weight may finally be stabilizing, and possibly even increasing just today (though I'm barely at half her daily calorie needs). She is thankfully mostly accepting of the syringe-feeding, though I've admittedly been extra sensitive to not annoy her, and have spread out her meals to practically every 20 to 40 minutes throughout the day, with a few feedings even in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately though, her own appetite for food has not returned. I've tried a great variety of foods across dozens of brands (wet, dry, fresh, treats, Purina, Wellness, Origen, etc.), tried cooking chicken with broth, and presented her food more than a dozen meals daily throughout this past week, to seemingly no avail. I have also been mindful to quickly remove foods that appear to make her nauseous, in hopes that witholding them for a while may eventually lead to her forgetting any negative feelings towards them.

I've at least had a glimmer of hope with Temptations treats, though. I've found that at certain times of the day (mainly around 4 or 5am) if I hold up a handful of those treats to her, she'll chew at them for a while, albeit she lets most all of it crumble out of her mouth. I also oddly have to hold it up for her or place them on a blanket, since she seems to have forgotten how to lick them off of hard surfaces. It almost seems as though she's lost her memory of how to eat.

Because of her cancer treatment and consistent vomiting over time, her primary care doctor and oncologist have prescribed a lot of medications to give her. Currently she's on 5mg Prednisolone (cancer/inflammation), Ondansetron (anti-vomit), Cyproheptadine (appetite stimulant), Cerenia (anti-nausea), Mirtazapine (intestinal upset) and Omeprazole (antacid). Surprisingly, despite all of these medications, and despite having been off of chemotherapy for almost two weeks (due to her refusal to eat) she still seems to feel unwell throughout large portions of the day. Particularly in the afternoons into the evenings she seems to spend a noticeable amount of time sitting at her food bowl or looking exhausted sleeping in different hidey-holes around my apartment. It isn't until the early morning hours that she seems to perk up and show some signs of feeling a bit more normal.

Given how long it's been since her last treatment, I wonder if the Prednisolone might be causing her issues. Then again, considering she's been having bouts of vomiting and inappetence long before she even started treatment, it makes me doubly wonder if she may have a separate underlying issue that could be causing her continued discomfort with food (perhaps irritable bowel disease, or a problem with her gut flora?)

My biggest question right now, though, is how to help regain her appetite. Is it common for cats to go so long without eating? Would a feeding tube help, given the circumstances? How long could it take for her to get her appetite for food back? Is it possible she may never get it back? Any thoughts, experience or feedback would help immensely. Thank you all very much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kikaioh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should also mention. I brought her to her primary care doctor last Thursday (about the 4th day into her not eating) as a checkup, given my worry over her downturn. Her vet didn't notice any superficial signs of hepatic lipidosis like jaundice, and mentioned that her lack of continuous vomiting or diarrhea made it seem less likely that. They did mention on ultrasound they noticed what might be initial signs of lipidosis, and also encouraged doubling down on moving forward with the syringe-feeding.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have nothing to offer in term of direct experience with this, but think you should pursue the tube feeding aspect with the vet and see what they think. There are many members on this site who have chosen this approach, for a wide array of reasons, and have had success getting their cat past a crisis point.

The only other thing I could offer would be to check out these TCS articles (see links below)to see if there are any tips in them that you haven't already tried.
How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight – TheCatSite Articles

By me responding, that will also 'bump up' your post, so that more members will see it and offer their ideas.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Kikaioh Kikaioh ...I just wanted to say what an amazing cat guardian you are.
The things you are doing for your Swirly...are simply beyond any words...that are adequate enough to say. :heartshape:
My biggest question right now, though, is how to help regain her appetite. Is it common for cats to go so long without eating? Would a feeding tube help, given the circumstances? How long could it take for her to get her appetite for food back? Is it possible she may never get it back? Any thoughts, experience or feedback would help immensely. Thank you all very much.
I wish I could be of help and answer the above questions,..but I don't have any first-hand experience with any of the chemo protocols for cats.
I've only read through threads, and online, when another member's cat was ill, but this was like 3 years ago,...and I don't remember that their cat had such long bouts of inappetence.

You didn't mention how old Swirly is? or maybe I missed it.
I think I would consider a feeding tube...if you or the Vets...saw this as an easier method to get her the calories she needs.
I think it would definitely be easier on you, as compared to the syringe feedings.

Because of her cancer treatment and consistent vomiting over time, her primary care doctor and oncologist have prescribed a lot of medications to give her. Currently she's on 5mg Prednisolone (cancer/inflammation), Ondansetron (anti-vomit), Cyproheptadine (appetite stimulant), Cerenia (anti-nausea), Mirtazapine (intestinal upset) and Omeprazole (antacid).
Surprisingly, despite all of these medications, and despite having been off of chemotherapy for almost two weeks (due to her refusal to eat) she still seems to feel unwell throughout large portions of the day. Particularly in the afternoons into the evenings she seems to spend a noticeable amount of time sitting at her food bowl or looking exhausted sleeping in different hidey-holes around my apartment. It isn't until the early morning hours that she seems to perk up and show some signs of feeling a bit more normal.
I wonder if it has to do with the timing of when the medications are given...or the 'half-life' of the particular med...seeing as you notice a pattern of when she seems to perk up.

It sounds like she wants to eat, but just feels awful, nauseous, has an irritated throat, ulcers, or equates eating to feeling bad.
Given how long it's been since her last treatment, I wonder if the Prednisolone might be causing her issues. Then again, considering she's been having bouts of vomiting and inappetence long before she even started treatment, it makes me doubly wonder if she may have a separate underlying issue that could be causing her continued discomfort with food (perhaps irritable bowel disease, or a problem with her gut flora?)
Not sure, but I thought that Prednisolone, being a steroid,... is also supposed to stimulate appetite as well as be an anti-inflammatory...(though I do know that the human med...prednisone...did cause stomach acidity problems.)
You are giving her an antacid, though,...so again...not sure about the above issue.
Currently she's on 5mg Prednisolone (cancer/inflammation), Ondansetron (anti-vomit), Cyproheptadine (appetite stimulant), Cerenia (anti-nausea), Mirtazapine (intestinal upset) and Omeprazole (antacid)
Is the Omeprazole (antacid) in liquid form? flavoured from a compounding pharmacy?
Or do you have to give it in pill form?
Just wondering if this makes any difference in taste.
Unfortunately though, her own appetite for food has not returned. I've tried a great variety of foods across dozens of brands (wet, dry, fresh, treats, Purina, Wellness, Origen, etc.), tried cooking chicken with broth, and presented her food more than a dozen meals daily throughout this past week, to seemingly no avail. I have also been mindful to quickly remove foods that appear to make her nauseous, in hopes that witholding them for a while may eventually lead to her forgetting any negative feelings towards them.

I've at least had a glimmer of hope with Temptations treats, though. I've found that at certain times of the day (mainly around 4 or 5am) if I hold up a handful of those treats to her, she'll chew at them for a while, albeit she lets most all of it crumble out of her mouth. I also oddly have to hold it up for her or place them on a blanket, since she seems to have forgotten how to lick them off of hard surfaces. It almost seems as though she's lost her memory of how to eat.
Could you possibly try to 'crumble the temptations treats' on top of her food, ...and see if this may get her to eat.
Any toppers, really, that you can think of...to entice her to smell the food, or lick it, and try to eat...would be good.

Slightly warmed up canned food, tuna water, boiled or baked chicken breast, chicken baby food with no onions or garlic.
Those lick-able treats that are soft and mushy.
Kitten food in cans.

Even non-recommended foods like deli-meats, sandwich meats.
(I think you've actually tried everything, so I'm probably just repeating things you've already tried.)
I should also mention. I brought her to her primary care doctor last Thursday (about the 4th day into her not eating) as a checkup, given my worry over her downturn. Her vet didn't notice any superficial signs of hepatic lipidosis like jaundice, and mentioned that her lack of continuous vomiting or diarrhea made it seem less likely that. They did mention on ultrasound they noticed what might be initial signs of lipidosis, and also encouraged doubling down on moving forward with the syringe-feeding.
Again I just want to say that I think you are amazing. :hugs: :grouphug:
Sending 'Mega Healing, Strength, and 'Let's get back to eating' Vibes' to your Swirly. :vibes::vibes::caticon:
And mega vibes for Strength to you, too. :hugs: :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kikaioh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner Thank you for the reply and links. It's much appreciated. I may consider the Tomlyn's Nutri-cal supplement based on the weight gain article you mentioned. The bump is also much appreciated.

cat nap cat nap Thank you very much for the lengthy and thorough reply. It's also much appreciated.

Swirly is only about 8 years old, which is part of the tragedy of her cancer.

I do suspect that the meds, in some combination, may be causing her bouts of feeling unwell during the afternoons and evenings, though it's hard to say exactly what may be causing it.

Speaking with her oncologist this evening, it does seem as though Prednisolone is also an appetite stimulant, which is puzzling, considering she's taking so many appetite stimulants and collectively nothing seems to be working. IIRC the oncologist mentioned that if Swirly had IBD that it would also normally be treated with a steroid like Prednisolone, so she wasn't as sure that it would be a cause for her regular bouts of vomiting.

The Omeprazole is in a liquid form. Swirly generally hates it. She seems to hate liquid medications, flavored or unflavored, just in general unfortunately. She only started the Omeprazole last Thursday, in part because her primary care vet suspected that increased acid production in her stomach might be causing her the feelings of unwellness and vomiting.

Thank you for the recommendation to try crumbling up the temptations treats. I will give it a try later. She has generally rejected most other attempts at enticing her to eat that I've tried. Warming up food, tuna water, boiled chicken (I will try baking soon, thank you for the recommendation), chicken/turkey/ham baby food, kitten food. She either acts like they don't exist, or gets up and walks over to her water bowl, perhaps out of triggered nausea. I'm guessing it's food aversion, though it's hard to say. For whatever reason, the Temptations treats are the only food she's given any interest in whatsoever. It's a mystery to me. The vets did give it to her one time when she was at their office. Maybe she associates feelings of wellness with the food.

Thank you for the kind words and good vibes. These last two weeks have been a nightmare, and I've not gotten much good sleep. I'm also in the middle of moving, which makes the situation that much more unnecessarily complicated.

Some potentially good news is that Swirly has been showing increased interest in the Temptations treats, both early this morning at 4am, and this afternoon around 3pm, and seems to be slowly remembering how to swallow better. I'm hopeful she'll gain even more of an appetite soon.

Speaking with Swirly's oncologist today about her strange history, she suspects that Swirly may be experiencing a combination of side effects from her Vincristine treatment, along with something called Ileus which may be causing her general discomfort with eating (I've not yet done much research into it, but hopefully will soon).

Thank you all again for the thoughts and well-wishes. I'm hoping that Swirly will continue to improve.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the kind words and good vibes. These last two weeks have been a nightmare, and I've not gotten much good sleep. I'm also in the middle of moving, which makes the situation that much more unnecessarily complicated.
Hi Kikaioh Kikaioh ,..firstly, I just want to say,...to please only respond when you have time, and when you feel like it. :)

I do want your first priority to be yourself,... trying to get some good sleep, eating, hydrating,.. and also some relaxing, too. :read:
I know how difficult it is, when we have sick animals, and our minds can't shut off, or we try to obtain as much information on the subject,...to try and take steps to get our animals to feeling well again.

Being in the middle of moving is exciting and tiring, so extra relaxing breaks, or little distractions doing things you enjoy,...may be needed...just to recharge yourself.

Swirly is only about 8 years old, which is part of the tragedy of her cancer.
That is kind of young for a cat, having cancer,...but remember that you have already given Swirly extra months, and even though she may be sensitive to medications, or has lost weight...she sounds like a fighter, too.
(Not sure if Swirly is the one in your avatar photo, with white 'eyebrow whiskers' and either black or white or grey and white,...but regardless your avatar photo is adorable.)

I do suspect that the meds, in some combination, may be causing her bouts of feeling unwell during the afternoons and evenings, though it's hard to say exactly what may be causing it.

Speaking with her oncologist this evening, it does seem as though Prednisolone is also an appetite stimulant, which is puzzling, considering she's taking so many appetite stimulants and collectively nothing seems to be working. IIRC the oncologist mentioned that if Swirly had IBD that it would also normally be treated with a steroid like Prednisolone, so she wasn't as sure that it would be a cause for her regular bouts of vomiting.

The Omeprazole is in a liquid form. Swirly generally hates it. She seems to hate liquid medications, flavored or unflavored, just in general unfortunately. She only started the Omeprazole last Thursday, in part because her primary care vet suspected that increased acid production in her stomach might be causing her the feelings of unwellness and vomiting.
Yes, because you've noticed a pattern, with her feeling unwell...then perhaps you can...keep a Log Book, of when the meds are given...with type of foods given or syringed...and any reactions she gets. Basically noting the time helps.
You probably already do this, since you've noticed her bouts of unwellness.

Can you ask her oncologist if the Prednisolone can be given as a Transdermal gel?
Also, can Swirly be given B12 injections at home, and would B12 injections help her to absorb any extra nutrients from food?

Thank you for the recommendation to try crumbling up the temptations treats. I will give it a try later. She has generally rejected most other attempts at enticing her to eat that I've tried. Warming up food, tuna water, boiled chicken (I will try baking soon, thank you for the recommendation), chicken/turkey/ham baby food, kitten food. She either acts like they don't exist, or gets up and walks over to her water bowl, perhaps out of triggered nausea. I'm guessing it's food aversion, though it's hard to say. For whatever reason, the Temptations treats are the only food she's given any interest in whatsoever. It's a mystery to me. The vets did give it to her one time when she was at their office. Maybe she associates feelings of wellness with the food.
Ugh...I wish they would come up with "temptation treats where people could put meds inside"...or a Compounding Pharmacy...that can actually duplicate the 'temptation flavour'...into some sort of paste or treat...with the meds already inside them.

People have also mentioned that they used 'Bonito Flakes', crumbled dry cat food like purina cat chow multi-flavoured, and Pure Bites Chicken treats,...as toppers. Also whiskas or fancy feast wet food.

(My previous CKD cat did like the 'Forti Flora' from the Vet,...but only for a short time, and then went off his food, too.)I think it was the 'animal digest' in it that he initially liked.
(One of mine also liked the Nutri-cal paste, you mentioned above, but the other cat didn't...it's worth a try.)

This may sound weird, and may do nothing,...but if you have any 'enzymatic toothpaste' laying around, with chicken or tuna flavour,...then try rubbing a bit on Swirly's gums or back teeth.
(Something I read online about Vincristine, in humans, changing the taste in the mouth or causing a bad lingering taste, ...makes me think that anything you can do to alter the taste in Swirly's mouth may help her to eat.)

I do think you may be right about the associations of food with feeling well, and food aversion, yet I would hope that if we could just find something to alter the taste, or aftertaste of the meds, then maybe Swirly would try and eat.

Try and see if eating from a 'flat plate' is easier for Swirly.
Raise it about 4-6 inches on top of some box, books or magazine
s.
It may help her to eat if dish is raised a bit.

Some potentially good news is that Swirly has been showing increased interest in the Temptations treats, both early this morning at 4am, and this afternoon around 3pm, and seems to be slowly remembering how to swallow better. I'm hopeful she'll gain even more of an appetite soon.

Speaking with Swirly's oncologist today about her strange history, she suspects that Swirly may be experiencing a combination of side effects from her Vincristine treatment, along with something called Ileus which may be causing her general discomfort with eating (I've not yet done much research into it, but hopefully will soon).
Yes, I too am hoping that your Swirly's appetite comes back, and that you only need to find something that will stimulate her taste buds.

Could you ask your Vet or oncologist,...if they think inserting an E-tube would help...and all the risks and complications that might happen? Is it even advised in Swirly's situation?

(I don't know about Ileus in cats?...some sort of motility issue or blockage in cats?
If she is feeling at all constipated, this would cause her to not want to eat, as well.)

I did want to ask how her stools are looking? colour, texture?
Does she have any constipation or diarrhea?

Again only answer when you have time... and remember to get plenty of rest, yourself, too.
I do hope your move goes well, and sending much Love and All Good Vibes for Swirly and you. :catrub:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a few more ideas that you can try to get Swirly to eat:
(I tried googling 'Treating anorexia in cats undergoing chemotherapy'...but most of the information is not specific enough.) :ohwell:

Not Eating Well? Boosting Your Cat's Appetite -Frederick Cat Vet
The above article had many useful tips. I especially liked:
"Toppings: Cats love fat and salt, but a little can go a long way. Bacon, grated cheese, catnip, CatSure, chicken broth, FortiFlora probiotic, Churu and Squeeze Ups can be poured on or sprinkled on food to make it taste better. The goal with these toppings is to entice your cat to eat the whole meal, and not just feast on the treats. Many cats readily lap up juice from canned chicken or seafood, so adding this to the regular diet can make it much tastier."
also: "The smell of chicken or fish cooking on the stove may be enticing. Also tempt them with traditional treats and sandwich slices."

Approach to the Anorexic Cat • MSPCA-Angell
This article had mentioned..."sprinkling catnip on food".
"Many cats like catnip and sprinkling a small amount on the top of food will stimulate them to eat the catnip and may jumpstart eating the food."

Is your cat a picky eater? | Animal Wellness Magazine
Acupressure:"Shan gen, “Base of the Mountain”: This “classical” acupoint is located just back from your cat’s nose, toward his eyes and on the center line. It’s known to trigger a desire to eat. Starting at your cat’s nose, gently rub back toward his eyes using the soft tip of your pointer finger. Keep rubbing that spot for a slow count of 20. This point is specifically used to stimulate appetite in animals, and has the added advantage that most cats find it relaxing.

Lastly, I did notice a thread where daftcat75 daftcat75 ...advises to ...join an online 'lymphoma support group'
so I don't think they will mind if I copy and paste part of their response.
It is post #10...in My cat is having an ultrasound tomorrow with fine needle aspiration. The vet is concerned about GI lymphoma.
(I think the OP mentioned that their cat has IBD and not lymphoma, but the post is still useful.)
"You can also subscribe and post questions to this support group. They don't reply as quickly as we do here because most people are getting a single daily digest email. But they are very knowledgeable, perhaps more so than the folks here."
Felinelymphomasupport groups.io Group

Again, no need to respond.
Just read when you have time. :read:
I know how busy you must be with Swirly. :hugs: :grouphug: :bluepaw:

Asrais

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have recently been through almost the exact same experience as you with my cat. I cannot help you in terms of meds, but
when she was at her worst, not eating, weight down to less than 5 pounds, canned shredded chicken was her magic sauce.

I know how hard this journey is with your cat. I know the frustration of watching your cat refuse food after food even though she is wasting away. My heart goes out to you and your kitty. I hope you find a solution.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not sure if you mentioned this in your post regarding what you've tried for Swirly but when my cat lost his appetite completely and I tried everything to encourage him to eat the vet gave me Urgent Care A/D which he absolutely gobbled up. It jump started his appetite and he also gained weight. Hill's® Prescription Diet® a/d® Canine/Feline

That's the only bit of help I can offer you except my sincere wishes for Swirly to feel better. Sending special thoughts to both of you. 🤗