Cat has mouth ulcers, refusing to eat or drink. Took her vets today and they sent me back with food.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While you are talking with the vet, you can ask about adding L-lysine and/or CoQ10 for immune support to stave off viral infections. Slippery elm bark, or marshmallow root, an herbal with similar properties and uses, simmered into soothing tea-like decoction can help the entire alimentary tract, from lips & mouth to sensitive anal tssues; however, due to the soothing coating action that might inhibit absorption, those herbs should be separated by 4-6 hours from oral medications.
FYI, my little cat Janie has stomatitis but her sores develop far back into her throat so several vets didn't catch on to the severity of her condition. During flare-up, the poor thing cannot tolerate oral antibiotics but a periodic course of antibiotics delivered via injection plus a steroid shot
& pain shot, allows her to eat and drink.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

TerryTheGuy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got an update.

Vet gave her anti-inflammatory

Vet gave her two injections, anti-flam and pain medicine.

We also have medicine which will coat her mouth and make the pain easier to hopefully make her feel better to eat on her own and one when she’s eating again to clear her up.

We were told she should be better after a week, keep syringe feeding her.

She will be getting a check up on the 7th.

Last edited by a moderator:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got an update.

Vet gave her anti-inflammatory

Vet gave her two injections, anti-flam and pain medicine.

We also have medicine which will coat her mouth and make the pain easier to hopefully make her feel better to eat on her own and one when she’s eating again to clear her up.

We were told she should be better after a week, keep syringe feeding her.

She will be getting a check up on the 7th.
Please keep us updated! Do they have any idea why she has the mouth ulcers? I'm glad she has something to coat her mouth to let her eat better. She obviously is hungry and wants to eat but can't on her own, and this should help prevent food aversion if she starts associating food with pain. I hope she's feeling better!

TerryTheGuy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please keep us updated! Do they have any idea why she has the mouth ulcers? I'm glad she has something to coat her mouth to let her eat better. She obviously is hungry and wants to eat but can't on her own, and this should help prevent food aversion if she starts associating food with pain. I hope she's feeling better!
They’re not too sure what would have been the origin of what caused the ulcers, blood came back fine and no poison detected.

Their best guess was either some kind of plant she tried to bite or she licked something that is sensitive to cats.

She does go outside, obviously right now we’re prohibiting that with all the kitty’s in the house but we’ve done our best to find anything but no luck really, she came in from outside and had this issue.

The vet was sure with the pain meds and the extra injections she will eventually feel better, she’s really drowsy at the moment it’s been about 7-ish hours and she’s still out of it but good thing she is nibbling at soft food mushed up and we have to continue syringe feeding her food/water.

I hate seeing her this way because she’s super wobbly when she walks but obviously it’s just a time thing currently and keeping an eye on her.

Crossing my fingers and hoping she recovers with everything.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They’re not too sure what would have been the origin of what caused the ulcers, blood came back fine and no poison detected.

Their best guess was either some kind of plant she tried to bite or she licked something that is sensitive to cats.

She does go outside, obviously right now we’re prohibiting that with all the kitty’s in the house but we’ve done our best to find anything but no luck really, she came in from outside and had this issue.

The vet was sure with the pain meds and the extra injections she will eventually feel better, she’s really drowsy at the moment it’s been about 7-ish hours and she’s still out of it but good thing she is nibbling at soft food mushed up and we have to continue syringe feeding her food/water.

I hate seeing her this way because she’s super wobbly when she walks but obviously it’s just a time thing currently and keeping an eye on her.

Crossing my fingers and hoping she recovers with everything.
If she was outside and came back with this issue, I bet the vet is right. I'm so glad they tested for poison, if this is something she chewed on hopefully it will wear off quickly.
It's distressing seeing them wobbly. Is she in a quiet area where she can rest? If you can keep her from trying to jump, that would be ideal, but sometimes convincing a cat not to jump up on a cat tree or into a window is impossible :)
I'll cross my fingers and say a prayer for her :)

TerryTheGuy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
While you are talking with the vet, you can ask about adding L-lysine and/or CoQ10 for immune support to stave off viral infections. Slippery elm bark, or marshmallow root, an herbal with similar properties and uses, simmered into soothing tea-like decoction can help the entire alimentary tract, from lips & mouth to sensitive anal tssues; however, due to the soothing coating action that might inhibit absorption, those herbs should be separated by 4-6 hours from oral medications.
FYI, my little cat Janie has stomatitis but her sores develop far back into her throat so several vets didn't catch on to the severity of her condition. During flare-up, the poor thing cannot tolerate oral antibiotics but a periodic course of antibiotics delivered via injection plus a steroid shot
& pain shot, allows her to eat and drink.
I will bare this in mind for the next vet visit if she’s still having issues :) thank you

Sorry I didn’t get to this sooner! It’s been very hectic this week.

TerryTheGuy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If she was outside and came back with this issue, I bet the vet is right. I'm so glad they tested for poison, if this is something she chewed on hopefully it will wear off quickly.
It's distressing seeing them wobbly. Is she in a quiet area where she can rest? If you can keep her from trying to jump, that would be ideal, but sometimes convincing a cat not to jump up on a cat tree or into a window is impossible :)
I'll cross my fingers and say a prayer for her :)
Yeah she’s laying under the table on soft blankets and stuff or up on the couch which is close to the floor :)

I believe she has made a lot of improvements today it’s just tough to see her in the state she’s in, she’s not being vocal any longer like she was previously, crying and such out of pain I would imagine.

She’s just being quiet and rubbing her face into peoples hands, letting us syringe feed her food/water every so often.

She’s just kind of drunk at the moment either from the meds or id imagine feeling weak.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah she’s laying under the table on soft blankets and stuff or up on the couch which is close to the floor :)

I believe she has made a lot of improvements today it’s just tough to see her in the state she’s in, she’s not being vocal any longer like she was previously, crying and such out of pain I would imagine.

She’s just being quiet and rubbing her face into peoples hands, letting us syringe feed her food/water every so often.

She’s just kind of drunk at the moment either from the meds or id imagine feeling weak.
Could you keep a small journal of her symptoms for the next few days or weeks? I've done this with my dog with cancer and it really helps paint that picture of how he's doing "overall". I just make a daily log, and write down how much he ate, what his activity level was, any concerning symptoms, etc. and how he seems to feel. You could just log how she is tonight, then how she is tomorrow, and the next day, etc. and see how she slowly improves. You might look back over the next week and realize she really is improving even though she's not 100%. This is helpful for your vet and really good for us owners so we don't freak out :)