Cat has lump at base of tail

SunflowersandSunshine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need to tell a story here, because this has bee eating me up.
I found this kitty at about 1.3lbs, one or 2 months old, on the side of the road. She was meowing like crazy but running away from me; she needed help but didn't want to be helped. I chased her through the tall grass for a good few minutes and finally caught her. But when I did, I grabbed her by the tail--which I knew at the time was a bad idea, and I don't normally grab cats by the tail unless I need to get ahold of them asap.

She bit me pretty hard, but we got her in the car. We had to drive to the ER, and she hid under the seat and howled. We thought it was because she was mad at being caught, but now I'm wondering if she was in pain from her tail.

While I was in the ER, my boyfriend fed her and held her and she calmed down to the point of snoozing in his lap. I have pictures of that time and I don't see the lump on her tail.

We dropped her off at the humane society because I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep her. And I remember looking at her tail because I was worried but it didn't seem totally limp?

10 days later I had decided to adopt her and I picked her up from the HS. Next day I noticed she walked weird, she stretched her back legs out behind her. But her tail was up and alert.

Months later I noticed the bump, but it was actually there before I noticed it.

The vet says it's fine, and the cat isn't bothered by it. She runs around and is very acrobatic (once I think she did a somersault in the air).

But it's eating me up that I might have dislocated her tail that day and now she had a bump. I just feel so bad that it could have been my fault.

20220921_135547.jpg