Cat has low appetite and has gone off routine

apollo_n1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Apollo is an indoors-during-daytime and outdoors-during-nighttime cat. Two days ago he stopped going out. Just this morning, i noticed his appetite is very low, although he still drinks water.

He still grooms, still lies on his favorite spots, cuddles with me, and he doesn't seem yo have any injuries. I don't see any wounds/swelling/infections, and he doesn't have a problem with his posture, climbing, etc. His ears and paws remain the same shade and temperature.

He's a 10 month old unneutered cat. what could go wrong? what should I do?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is more than enough of a reason for a vet visit. You could be missing an injury, for example puncture wounds are hard to spot till abscesses form, but there are other possibilities like illness or parasites. Vets are trained to spot the signs of this stuff; we can't really help beyond telling you to go. If that is simply impossible, I guess the first step would be to come through all the fur with you fingers.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Apollo is an indoors-during-daytime and outdoors-during-nighttime cat. Two days ago he stopped going out. Just this morning, i noticed his appetite is very low, although he still drinks water.

He still grooms, still lies on his favorite spots, cuddles with me, and he doesn't seem yo have any injuries. I don't see any wounds/swelling/infections, and he doesn't have a problem with his posture, climbing, etc. His ears and paws remain the same shade and temperature.

He's a 10 month old unneutered cat. what could go wrong? what should I do?
He could well be injured in some way. Toms who are allowed out are almost definitely going to have issues as they fight for females and territory. Night is the worst time. It could be that he is under attack from other Toms and is highly stressed about it, or he could be injured. I too, suggest a vet visit, and booking him in for neutering.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apollo_n1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He could well be injured in some way. Toms who are allowed out are almost definitely going to have issues as they fight for females and territory. Night is the worst time. It could be that he is under attack from other Toms and is highly stressed about it, or he could be injured. I too, suggest a vet visit, and booking him in for neutering.
hi, we don't have vets around here and i don't have the money to pay if there ever was. 😟 he vomited brown liquid with some rice in it just now. i also don't think he has any injuries; I've checked his skin thoroughly and he doesn't seem to have a wound?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apollo_n1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is more than enough of a reason for a vet visit. You could be missing an injury, for example puncture wounds are hard to spot till abscesses form, but there are other possibilities like illness or parasites. Vets are trained to spot the signs of this stuff; we can't really help beyond telling you to go. If that is simply impossible, I guess the first step would be to come through all the fur with you fingers.
hi, we do not have vets around here in our town and i don't have the money to pay for one :( he vomited brown liquid with rice just now, what could it possibly mean? he was also chewing on some grass earlier.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
hi, we don't have vets around here and i don't have the money to pay if there ever was. 😟 he vomited brown liquid with some rice in it just now. i also don't think he has any injuries; I've checked his skin thoroughly and he doesn't seem to have a wound?
I'm so sorry but we can't really help as there are so many things this could be. If he is not vaccinated, has not been neutered and is allowed to roam, then there are so many possibilities. I suggest you keep him inside and monitor him for now.
Are there any animal rescue centres near you? They may be able to advise.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vomitting alone could be nothing, cats certainly do that. Refusal to go out alone could also be not much -- something could have scared him. However, original refusal to go out combined with low appetite is quite worrysome if its continued for a few days now. I don't know what is going on, but its hard to believe the combination is nothing. If your lucky he is just a bit sick.