Cat has lost a little bit of weight, should I be worried?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned food is more easy digested so that could be part of why his poo is smaller, his body is using more nutrients.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope so. But it went from 3 small nuggets to one little nugget.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cancelled the vet appointment. His stools have softened up enough to the point where the litter is sticking to it. Still small amounts but after talking with a local humane society I volunteer with I decided to go with the miralax. 1/8th a teaspoon mixed into his wet food with a couple table spoons of water added to the mix.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No poop in the litter box today. No idea if he even ate his food. I just know my mother started feeding him dry food again without my permission so I texted her and told her that's a no-no. Also waiting to hear back as to if he ate his wet food yesterday as I told her not to feed him - that I would come over and take care of that. What do I find today? A bowl of wet food with no miralax in it.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After talking with mom it turns out the cat won't eat the miralax laced wet food so she gave him dry food instead.

Any tricks to get him to eat it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lickable treats - Temptations Purrreee, Delectable Squeeze Ups, Tiki Cat Stix, and a whole host of other lickable treats on the market might work. Anytime one is giving a 'med' to a cat, it should be mixed with a small amount of food/treat to ensure the cat finishes it all, and then their regular food can be fed to them. Baby food meats (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) are another good 'trick' to try.

Regardless of which 'trick' is used, the Miralax should be mixed with a little bit of water first, and then added to a lickable treat or baby food meat and given before a regular meal is offered.

It sounds like it might be a good idea if you take over this task from your mother.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was the one feeding him. 1/8 teaspoon miralax on top of wet food, add 2 tablespoon water and mix. Just like the humane society advised me.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was the one feeding him. 1/8 teaspoon miralax on top of wet food, add 2 tablespoon water and mix. Just like the humane society advised me.
The problem you face with just putting the Miralax on top of a meal of wet food is just what you experienced. The whole meal of wet food could have to be tossed - so food loss and no Miralax in the cat.

Better off to try some different treats with the Miralax and not put it in his food at all. Or use just a spoonful or so of a 'new' food he doesn't normally get as he might also consider that a treat and be more willing to eat it.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The problem you face with just putting the Miralax on top of a meal of wet food is just what you experienced. The whole meal of wet food could have to be tossed - so food loss and no Miralax in the cat.

Better off to try some different treats with the Miralax and not put it in his food at all. Or use just a spoonful or so of a 'new' food he doesn't normally get as he might also consider that a treat and be more willing to eat it.
Someone suggested Tuna. Think that would work?

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Local humane society (different person this time) said don't add water and gave me a couple packets of food with broth in it to try.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am going to agree with FeebysOwner FeebysOwner on this as I just started using Miralax three days ago for two of my cats. I found that too much water made the food runny, so that was a no go, but that it did have to be mixed really well with the food. Sprinkling it on top did not work. Supposedly it is non grainy and unflavored, but it is not immediately non grainy and I don't think that a spoon of it, even a very small one, would dissolve just left on top. I mixed it with the Hartz Delectable Stew and then put that on top of the food.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For anyone wondering I was given fancy feast broths. There's hardly any food in the packet so I used the both, added the miralax and stirred. He ate about half of it immediately.

I'm going to have to ask my mother if she wouldn't mind buying him a box of it. I've already spent $60 on stuff for the cat trying to cure his constipation.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Great news! Same with the Delectables.... a lot of broth or stew and little food, so it mixes the Miralax easily.

Bigglesworth'sDad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Never thought I'd be so happy to see cat poop before in my life. One large stool and a few small ones.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ensure your mom weighs him weekly on a baby scale. Weight loss can mean there is a health issue. She can use this calculator to figure out what calories he should be eating