Cat has loss of appetite! Please help!

madi12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is on ketoconazole medication for ringworm since Wednesday (liquid oral meds). Since then, he doesn't seem himself. He's been more grumpy, he doesn't play with the kitten like before and he seems less active (not hunting around the house, chasing his toys). He doesn't seem hungry either. He just lays down and is in between sleeping and being awake. He doesn't react to canned food, not drinking nor eating at all. I force fed him a piece of wet cat food and he ate it. He licked the label of the wet food, but that was it. He's also one who hates being carried. Right now he allows it, but then gets irritated and growls to be put down. He isn't one to get mad about being picked up. He just kicks and we know that's when it's time to let him go. Today's Friday and the vet we go to is closed on the weekends. I also won't have money for his next vaccines until Monday. Is there any way I can help him in this moment? Should I stop his meds for the time being?

blixxa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know some cats will have their wet food if you mix some warm water in it, or serve it at body temp. Maybe try that and see if he eats? I'm sending happy thoughts your way!

sunset97

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have had cats not wanting to eat.  I would put a little water on their food then put into the microwave for a few seconds.  That really brings out the aroma of the cat food.  Maybe try hand feeding it.  It can't hurt to try it.  As for stopping  the medicine I don't know.  I am sure someone with more knowledge will come and give you some advice.

Last edited:

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have some experience with itraconazole which is a very similar medication that is also given by oral syringe.  When I had to give it to my cat, there was the warning that they might not be able to tolerate it.  I was given a steroid to help support body function and increase appetite.  She had no problems while on itraconazole.  It sounds like to me you need to lower the dosage that you are giving until he becomes use to the medication.  I would talk to a vet on Monday about your options of switching to another oral medication or ask to be given some sort of stimulant for appetite.  We had to do a complete regiment for two weeks, including increasing dosages of intraconazole based on body weight, activity level, and tolerance.  We also supported her with the steroid, Cerenia (nausea medication), and B12 shots once a week.

iluvcats3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does your cat like chicken? Who cares if it's balanced nutrition right now - just get some calories into the cat.  I keep a couple jars of chicken baby food around for times like these, or get a rotisserie chicken at the deli or else cook  some chicken for kitty.  My picky cat did take to some kinds of Fancy Feast when she was ill. Some cats will eat cat treats when they are sick. Again, just calories, for a few days. Doesn't have to be balanced. We humans eat poorly for days in a row at times, after all. Some of us for years ;-)  

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I had to give Mr. Grimsby liquid antibiotics (which he really does not tolerate well at all), the vet gave me some Fortiflora to entice him to eat. You might ask the vet for a couple of packets. It's dry and you mix it into their wet food.

I also swirl a splash of warm water in his emptied food can and mix it into his wet food to make it easier to eat (he was recently diagnosed with chronic kidney disease and only has four teeth left in his head). This seems to encourage him - perhaps because the food is closer to body temperature.

Good luck with your cat and his heart worm medication!

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes to the fortiflora!  Some cats love the smell of it!  Little Girl could care less, but when it was mixed with her wet food, she ate it right up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

madi12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately, my cat isn't one who eats human food, even if it's gladly offered to him. He only licks small bits of his canned food from my finger, yet he growls at the same time. I'm calling a vet who is opened tomorrow. Sadly, our vets care more about the cash than the reason why they chose to be vets in the beginning... Please send prayers for Simon! I hope he wakes up in better condition tomorrow!

Also, he doesn't lay down. He just crouches (I've noticed) and he just tried to walk into my bedroom, but he growled as he headed over there. When he got there, he crouched again. I'm extremely worried for my furry buddy...

Has anyone gone a day without their cat eating or drinking?