Cat Has Gotten Very Mean!

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! We have a cat that was a real sweetheart but lately has gotten very mean. Last night my sister put him up on a beam in the ceiling of our cellar and of course I had to be the one to get him down. After I had gotten him down I was holding him and talking to him when he suddenly put his claws into both sides of my face and yowled. It surprised me so bad that I swatted him, put him on the stairs and told him to get! He not only has gotten mean to people but also is mean to my cats and Guinea Pigs which he wasn't mean to before. I don't know what has happened to make him this way and don't know how to correct it. My brother and sister do tease him more than he used to be teased so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it? I'm trying to go out of my way to let him know he is loved and he acts loving towards me. I feel really bad about him. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to help him be loving again?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, what happened last night is what is called "redirected aggression." He was so frustrated about being placed on that beam that he just lashed out at the nearest target...you. It is very common in cats, Re-directed Aggression In Cats will tell you all about it!

Next, YES, the teasing could be the whole, entire issue! It sounds as if your cat is dealing with a lot of stress, and is acting out because of it! I'm going to give you a LOT of articles about stress in cats, what it is, what causes it, what to do about it! Tell your brother and sister that what they think is playing is just plain mean in his mind, and to leave him alone!
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
You, Your Cat And Stress

And these are for your brother and sister, so they can learn to interact with your cat in healthy ways!
Your Cat Probably Hates It When You...
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's doing a lot better! Went over to my mom the other night and got on her lap and acted very loving and happy. He has been coming up to my room and gets on the bed and pushes against my head with his head and purrs. He hasn't acted mean or aggressive towards anyone lately.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut yes he is neutered. My brother walks him around on his back legs sometimes and my sister holds him in strange positions which I think may hurt his back at times. We try telling them that it bothers him but it never works. They don't mean to be unkind though.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This him on my bed. His name is Slater and we adopted him when he was a kitten from the Humane society.
IMG_20180208_210611.jpg

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your siblings are doing something that the cat doesn’t like, it’s your responsibility to protect him. He should never be put in a position where he is hurt. You’re putting him a position where he has no choice except to lash out. He can’t use his words.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I try but it is a little hard to deal with a 18 year old brother that I have a strained relationship with already.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm starting to get my mom on board with me so she can help handle the whole situation. She carries more wait with my siblings than I do of course.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thrilled to hear that your mom is getting on board with this! Yes, she has the power on her side of things, and can really be an advocate for your cat.

He's beautiful, by the way! Thanks for posting that picture!

Oh...tell your brother (and your sister) that cats are very different from dogs and that they do not mind giving fast lessons in claws and effect if they are hurt! AND that should Slater be forced to it, retaliation WILL NOT BE TOLERATED!

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will try to gently ease that into a conversation with them. Then could take me telling them that without getting put out lol.

Feral Cat Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Man, gotta love this phone and it's embarrassing auto correct. I meant "then they could take me telling them that without getting put out."

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I SO get that thing with the phone. Mine wants to tell people that I live in "Garlicky" rather than "Havelock."