Cat Has Diarrhea

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! My healthy 2.5 years old female cat is having diarrhea all of a sudden. It’s currently 11 am and she had diarrhea 4 times since 6 am. What’s weird is that it’s really really small amounts, it’s watery and sometimes has mucus in it but it’s really a few drops so not much. The poop looks yellow. She acts normal, no fever, no vomiting, no lethargy or any other symptoms. She’s active and playful, she’s eating like she always does. No changes in her diet or something like that. She was dewormed two months ago, I’m not sure if it could be parasites. She is allowed outside so maybe, or maybe she ate something out there that’s not good for her, like an insect or something.
I will take her to the vet if it doesn’t resolve until tomorrow but I can’t help but wonder what can be wrong with her? Maybe someone has any ideas or had a similar experience with their kitty? To be honest, I’m extremely anxious. I gave her some probiotics and maybe will give her some absorbents just in case. I hope she will be fine 🥺

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi! My healthy 2.5 years old female cat is having diarrhea all of a sudden. It’s currently 11 am and she had diarrhea 4 times since 6 am. What’s weird is that it’s really really small amounts, it’s watery and sometimes has mucus in it but it’s really a few drops so not much. The poop looks yellow. She acts normal, no fever, no vomiting, no lethargy or any other symptoms. She’s active and playful, she’s eating like she always does. No changes in her diet or something like that. She was dewormed two months ago, I’m not sure if it could be parasites. She is allowed outside so maybe, or maybe she ate something out there that’s not good for her, like an insect or something.
I will take her to the vet if it doesn’t resolve until tomorrow but I can’t help but wonder what can be wrong with her? Maybe someone has any ideas or had a similar experience with their kitty? To be honest, I’m extremely anxious. I gave her some probiotics and maybe will give her some absorbents just in case. I hope she will be fine 🥺
Cats can get diarrhea for all kind of reasons. It's hard to point out the culprit. Keep an eye on her and make sure it's not chronic diarrhea and if it resolved in a day then I think you don't need to panic. It's just like us hoomans when our digestive system does not agree with certain things we ate or had eaten something that is out of date or food that have gone bad.

Yes, continue to give her probiotics and here's an article to read :- My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do? and in he article there's instructions on the dosage of probiotic to administer if you are using the recommended brand in the article. Anything more serious than if your kitty is going more than 7 times a day for the next one or two days, it's better to bring her in to the vet and seek professional help.

Hope your kitty gets well soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats can get diarrhea for all kind of reasons. It's hard to point out the culprit. Keep an eye on her and make sure it's not chronic diarrhea and if it resolved in a day then I think you don't need to panic. It's just like us hoomans when our digestive system does not agree with certain things we ate or had eaten something that is out of date or food that have gone bad.

Yes, continue to give her probiotics and here's an article to read :- My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do? and in he article there's instructions on the dosage of probiotic to administer if you are using the recommended brand in the article. Anything more serious than if your kitty is going more than 7 times a day for the next one or two days, it's better to bring her in to the vet and seek professional help.

Hope your kitty gets well soon :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thank you so much! This article is really helpful. I will keep an eye on her and will get her to the vet tomorrow if it doesn’t resolve with all those steps.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you so much! This article is really helpful. I will keep an eye on her and will get her to the vet tomorrow if it doesn’t resolve with all those steps.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Yes, keep an eye on her.

My boy had chronic diarrhea from February to April this year and he refused to take medications from the vet and I followed this article's instructions and his diarrhea resolve beginning May and now his poop are very nicely formed now and I'm still giving him the probiotics twice in small dosage, once in the morning and once in the evening.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
View attachment 459942

Yes, keep an eye on her.

My boy had chronic diarrhea from February to April this year and he refused to take medications from the vet and I followed this article's instructions and his diarrhea resolve beginning May and now his poop are very nicely formed now and I'm still giving him the probiotics twice in small dosage, once in the morning and once in the evening.
Ohh I’m so glad it helped your boy! Probiotics are a miracle, I’m giving them to my senior cat with CKD, it really helps to clean toxins out of her blood.

It’s surely acute diarrhea for my Brownie though.

Update: she threw up. And in her vomit I found a piece of a rag. I went straight to the kitchen and found the rag, just a small piece missing, the one she threw up. Turns out my brother cooked yesterday evening and he made a mess on the kitchen, he was cleaning with that rag so it had a bit of garlic sauce on it. Brownie probably smelled it and decided to eat it. Thankfully, now I know what’s wrong. Still a bit worried because garlic is toxic to cats but there was a really tiny amount so I’ll monitor her for today and if her symptoms stay, I will rush her to the vet immediately. It really eased my mind a bit, knowing the reason why she’s not well. Hopefully probiotics and absorbents will help and no vet assistance will be needed.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ohh I’m so glad it helped your boy! Probiotics are a miracle, I’m giving them to my senior cat with CKD, it really helps to clean toxins out of her blood.

It’s surely acute diarrhea for my Brownie though.

Update: she threw up. And in her vomit I found a piece of a rag. I went straight to the kitchen and found the rag, just a small piece missing, the one she threw up. Turns out my brother cooked yesterday evening and he made a mess on the kitchen, he was cleaning with that rag so it had a bit of garlic sauce on it. Brownie probably smelled it and decided to eat it. Thankfully, now I know what’s wrong. Still a bit worried because garlic is toxic to cats but there was a really tiny amount so I’ll monitor her for today and if her symptoms stay, I will rush her to the vet immediately. It really eased my mind a bit, knowing the reason why she’s not well. Hopefully probiotics and absorbents will help and no vet assistance will be needed.
Oh dear, but at least you found out the cause.

Can you try getting her to drink more water? Hopefully it's not a big dose of garlic. Check with your vet and get some informations from them while you observe Brownie.

Hope it's not too serious that she needs to get to the vet.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear, but at least you found out the cause.

Can you try getting her to drink more water? Hopefully it's not a big dose of garlic. Check with your vet and get some informations from them while you observe Brownie.

Hope it's not too serious that she needs to get to the vet.
Thank you, she seems better now, no more diarrhea since she threw up. My cats eat raw so they don’t really drink water but I’m making broth for her right now

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have found for future reference, cats getting too many treats can have diarrhea too. And it doesn't have to be that many if they are not used to it.
Ohh, it makes sense! Not something that’s ever happened to my cats but still, it could be the cause, yeah

straycat31

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was about to say sometimes they ingest carpet, which can cause bleeding of the colon as well. Both of my cats have suffered from that in the past. Keep us updated.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was about to say sometimes they ingest carpet, which can cause bleeding of the colon as well. Both of my cats have suffered from that in the past. Keep us updated.
Hi everyone!
Glad to inform you that Brownie is totally fine today, her diarrhea resolved, she wasn’t vomiting anymore. Still giving her probiotics and will continue doing so at least for a few days. Hopefully she stays that way!
Thanks for your support and provided information, take care :hearthrob:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone!
Glad to inform you that Brownie is totally fine today, her diarrhea resolved, she wasn’t vomiting anymore. Still giving her probiotics and will continue doing so at least for a few days. Hopefully she stays that way!
Thanks for your support and provided information, take care :hearthrob:
That's great to hear! You can continue giving her probiotics at a lower dose each day to maintain her gut health.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's great to hear! You can continue giving her probiotics at a lower dose each day to maintain her gut health.
Hi everyone!
Update: she is not well after all, on our way to the vet now. She refused breakfast this morning and threw up, in her vomit I found legs, head and a body of some kind of insect, probably that’s why she threw up. I do think she has an inflammation or something and she will be alright but I’m still worried sick. Her poop is normal.
I will update you guys after our vet visit. Sadly, my vet is unavailable now so I’m going to the other one. Don’t really trust the guy but we’ll see.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi everyone!
Update: she is not well after all, on our way to the vet now. She refused breakfast this morning and threw up, in her vomit I found legs, head and a body of some kind of insect, probably that’s why she threw up. I do think she has an inflammation or something and she will be alright but I’m still worried sick. Her poop is normal.
I will update you guys after our vet visit. Sadly, my vet is unavailable now so I’m going to the other one. Don’t really trust the guy but we’ll see.
Oh dear. Hope she gets better and hope the vet give the right treatment.

Yes, do keep us posted.

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh dear. Hope she gets better and hope the vet give the right treatment.

Yes, do keep us posted.
So this vet sucks. He was palpating her and then went like that he can feel her uterus, I was like no way, she is neutered and he went oh then this is a foreign object. This sounds so weird, like how can you palpate foreign object, especially if it’s more likely like a piece of a rag even tho I saw my cat threw up all of it. He did an ultrasound and said that he found some foreign object so now I should give her laxatives to poop it out. He gave her injection to prevent vomiting and that’s it. We did her blood chemistry but results will be ready tomorrow.
When we returned home, she ate her wet food and I was really glad. She then had a little bit of diarrhea and threw up all the wet food she ate after 3 and a half hours. When she threw up, I knew I immediately need to go to another city to the vet clinic tomorrow morning. Hopefully my vet will be available, she is the only one I can trust with my cats’ lives.
Worried sick about Brownie, I hope she will be okay. Please, send all the good vibes you can.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are doing the right thing. This is terrible about the vet who is not helping at all, but concentrate on getting to the other vet. If anything was ingested that is still in her stomach or digestive tract, it has to be taken care of. Let us know what happens.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If a forign object is suspected the next step is digital imaging not just 'waiting for it to pass'.

Especialy since the vomiting not eating and diareah suggest obstruction or partial obstruction.

Id be getting her to a different vet.

Ok so an ultrasound was done but if something showed up chances are it won't pass without surgery.