Cat Has Diarrhea But Is Acting Okay.

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone,

So my boy is about 2 1/2 almost 3 years old. Hes been acting completely normal but has had the runs off and on. Last week I had given him some treats and I think they were bad because he got diarrhea and once i realized that was the cause, I stopped giving them to him and he cleared up until Sunday when he was back to the runs again and has since. I thought it was new dry food I gave him because he tried 5 bites of it Sunday before i filled his bowl with a mix of his old stuff and the new stuff. I pulled the dry food but hes still got the runs! He eats fancy feast wet food normally and that hasn't changed at all. Sunday he also met my cousins who were respectful of his space but it did stress him out.

Hes acting normal though. Pink gums. hes drinking water, eating, going pee in the box. When he has to go number 2 its in the box not anywhere else and the the diarrhea is not explosive. I have noticed hes going a bit more number 2 and its watery/soft. No blood or mucus and its a medium brown color. Hes playful and still doing all the normal activities that he does. I have noticed him sitting in the box a little bit before he poo's is the only change in behavior but hes not crying or straining. Just sitting and when I get up runs to me to play.

Hes an indoor cat with no other cats with him. My sister did have babies four months ago and we live with her but he has really no contact with them. Since hes acting normal besides this I do not know what to do. Any ideas would be awesome because I am at a loss.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
There are several possibilities why your cat could be having soft stools. As you mentioned, the treats and additional dry food. It was wise to eliminate both of those in order to determine if it would help alleviate the diarrhea.

Has your cat lived with you his entire life, (2-3 yrs. old), or is he a new addition to the family? When is the last time he had a vet exam? It's always best to contact your vet with any noticeable change in your cat's health. Some people like to use probiotics. Here's an Article that discusses that subject: Should I Give My Cat Probiotics?

However, before making any other changes I would advise calling your vet.
Best of luck, please keep us posted on his progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there

Scooby my cat has lived eith me since he was four months old. Hes technically considered a domestic long hair but the vet is convinced hes part mainecoon.

He went to the vet the first week of decemeber in 2018. It was a check in but also he got into hydrogen peroxide and got a massove tummy upset. When he went in he got blood work an exam erc and was good besides the issue at hand.

I did call my vet and they said since hes still eating and drinking and playing normally to just monitor him for now. I forgot to add that his coat is still shiny and soft as usual too. They think its dietary but obviously not 100 percent sure

I may look into the probiotics. I want him to be okay. Hes my baby and honestly one of my main motivations to get through college xD

Thanks and i will keep updated. I am ipen to any ideas so if anyone has them please share

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try giving him pumpkin, no additives or a punch of psyllium over his food to firm him. Try to stick to the same food and not change. He might have developed an allergy to something in his food, this can happen at any time. One of mine was 18 months before chicken started to give him diarrhoea.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's super cute and looks so soft!
I would ask the vet for Forti-Flora. It's a probiotic you sprinkle in the food. My cat is currently getting half a packet a day because her stool has been loose. The vet and I are working on a game plan to see if she has developed a food allergy. I've only got her on the canned Fancy Feast now and I had her on tuna pate for about 10 days with no issues. Great. Now I'm trying her on the chicken pate. She seems fine. It might have something to do with the gravies, depending on if you give your cat the shredded or grilled.
She is currently NOT getting dry food to snack on.

It is also possible since you had your cat at the vet in December he picked up something, like a virus. That happened to us once.
I would go with a probiotic. It has really worked well for us.

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Everyone,

Just for an update, I gave him a little canned pumpkin per suggestion from my vet when I called again (cause paranoid mama here) and I haven't seen any runny poop. The downside, I haven't seen poop at all. its been about 24 hours since I saw a number 2 in the box, but hes still going number 1 perfectly okay and is eating and drinking normal still as well. Hes still playing and acting normal. hes been sitting in the box still, but not straining to go, just digging a little and sitting which I have read before means stress? I dunno if hes now constipated or his systems just getting back to normal.

Again hes acting normal besides the box sitting. eating and drinking fine. Peeing. Pink gums. Shiny and soft fur.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to get some hooks and eyes to put on the cabinets where you store things he shouldn't get into. This would take care of all your shampoos, soaps, make up, astringents, the hydrogen peroxide and any other human medicines - most human medicines can kill cats.

Actually, you might want to get rid of most of your cleansers. You can clean your house nicely with white vinegar, baking soda, and dish detergent.

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey KFlowers

Thats actually not the issue at hand. That was in decemeber and has been fixed and taken care of. He doesnt have access to anything like that at all anymore. My thread is about him having dietary diaherria and such.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update.
I am not sure why your cat would sit in the litter box, but I think it's perfectly OK if your kitty doesn't poop in 24 hours. Not every cat goes every single day. Mine, for example, does not and never has, but she is a much older cat than yours.

Even so, she is kind of going through what your kitty is going through, sort of a roller coaster of formed stools and then she will have loose or "soft serve" type. I'm limiting her to Fancy Feast tuna pate. She did great. I gave her chicken pate -- she did great. The night I gave her fancy feast grilled tuna, that has the gravy in it, the next morning she was sick. So...I'm thinking it's the gravy. I know you said you fed your cat Fancy Feast as well. You may want to experiment with the proteins and gravy versus no gravy. My vet told me that if this does not work we have to start looking at whether she has some type of IBS.

What did your vet think of probiotics? I also find that giving her probiotics helps firm the stools but she might not go poop for 36 hours.
And like your kitty, she seems fine otherwise.

amy ballard

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update, not only did my boy go number 2 but it was SOLID! God I have never been so happy to see this cat poop before. Happy momma. Thank you all for your support here, it means so much!

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update, not only did my boy go number 2 but it was SOLID! God I have never been so happy to see this cat poop before. Happy momma. Thank you all for your support here, it means so much!
Yay! I was going to say I was just going through this with my cat. I understand the joy of seeing a solid poo lol.