Cat Has Bump On Chin And A Bit Of Redness And Hair Loss

glitchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So one of my cats, Nex, has a bump on her chin that I've only recently noticed. It doesn't seem to bother her, but it makes her jaw look a little lopsided/swollen. Some of the hair on her chin is gone and the space around the bump is a little red.
I was thinking it could be a scratch from one of my other cats? Or maybe she nicked it on something? Hopefully its not anything bad.

Any ideas of what it could be? Should I be worried?

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It might possibly be 'ringworm', which is actually a fungal infection. IF you try treating it with natural remedies, do NOT use Tea Tree Oil / Melaleuca, or any essential oils, as they are cat killers.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It might possibly be 'ringworm', which is actually a fungal infection. IF you try treating it with natural remedies, do NOT use Tea Tree Oil / Melaleuca, or any essential oils, as they are cat killers.
Thank you for responding. I didn't even think about ringworm. I checked my other cats faces and they all seem to be okay and no people in the house have any raises. Just in case it is ringworm, would apple cider vinegar be an okay natural remedy?

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
If it is ringworm, you would need to treat all of your cats and rugs, etc. How would they have gotten ringworm though? Do they go out?

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just in case it is ringworm, would apple cider vinegar be an okay natural remedy?
From what I've been reading . . .

ACV is tops for people-use, and usable with felines, too (but it can cause a burning sensation they may not want repeated). It can be diluted & mixed in their food, too. . . .

GrapeFruit Seed Extract -appropriately diluted- is also recommended for ringworm, & can be used both topically & internally on cats (but some cats might not be willing to eat it more than once, & might go entirely off their feed if it's been mixed into their regular fare). . . .

Lime-sulfer baths are used as partial treatment. . . . It can require BOTH topical AND internal treatment to get rid of ringworm.

Both Aloe vera gel & Coconut oil are also recommended on this website -"Medical News Today"- for ringworm, and both are safe for use on cats. They can eat a small amount of Coconut oil daily (start with a small dose & work up gradually), & both can be applied topically. . . .

Having the affected cat wear a cone collar to help keep any infection from spreading is also *definitely* *recommended*. . . as is quarentining them.

glitchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it is ringworm, you would need to treat all of your cats and rugs, etc. How would they have gotten ringworm though? Do they go out?
They are all indoor cats. I don't know much about ringworm and how its contracted, just that its contagious. So I'm thinking it might not be ringworm, since Nex only has one bump and none the other animals have any.

glitchy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what I've been reading . . .

ACV is tops for people-use, and usable with felines, too (but it can cause a burning sensation they may not want repeated). It can be diluted & mixed in their food, too. . . .

GrapeFruit Seed Extract -appropriately diluted- is also recommended for ringworm, & can be used both topically & internally on cats (but some cats might not be willing to eat it more than once, & might go entirely off their feed if it's been mixed into their regular fare). . . .

Lime-sulfer baths are used as partial treatment. . . . It can require BOTH topical AND internal treatment to get rid of ringworm.

Both Aloe vera gel & Coconut oil are also recommended on this website -"Medical News Today"- for ringworm, and both are safe for use on cats. They can eat a small amount of Coconut oil daily (start with a small dose & work up gradually), & both can be applied topically. . . .

Having the affected cat wear a cone collar to help keep any infection from spreading is also *definitely* *recommended*. . . as is quarentining them.
Thank you so much for all of the advice. I'm not sure its ringworm, but would it hurt to treat it with one of the solutions you've offered, even if she doesn't have the infection? I just don't want it spreading, if it is an infection.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all of the advice. I'm not sure its ringworm, but would it hurt to treat it with one of the solutions you've offered, even if she doesn't have the infection? I just don't want it spreading, if it is an infection.
You should quarantine her regardless just in case it is something infectious. Spare bedroom? Office? Make sure to bring in some of her favourite things too like catbed, blanket, toys, etc. Also spend time in there exclusively with her... wouldn’t want her to feel like she is being punished. If you have two iOS devices in the house you can use Facetime to not onky keep an eye on her but talk to her from time to time. Works when you are out of the house too. I believe a maximum time Facetime connections stay open after the initial connection is 3 hours.