Cat Has Been Outdoors For ~2 Months, What Should Vet Look For?

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted before about my kitty Smo - my landlord let me board her for about 7 months then abruptly took her away. She ended up temporarily rehoming her at a hoarder's home, and she was kept outside 24/7 for nearly 2 months. The good news is that we were able to trap her, and I'm getting written consent from my landlord saying she's transferring ownership to me. The bad news is that Smo is not in great shape after her time as an outdoor cat, especially in such dirty conditions.

I'd appreciate some advice on what I should ask the vet to look for based on her current appearance and behavior. She's been home for two days so far and has been sleeping the majority of the time - she's normally more active, but I don't think she slept restfully outside because she was constantly on guard. She's eating like a horse and will play with her toys when we take them out, and she isn't hiding. She's very affectionate when we pet her and seems really happy to be home again.

However, she definitely has worms - we noticed grainy white pieces around her butt, and that area looks slightly swollen. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem to have fleas - they aren't biting us and we haven't seen them around at all. She had a flea bath and treatment on early June (which she still smells of), so that could have helped.

What worries me most is that Smo has clearly gotten into multiple fights - one of her front paws is scarred and she has chunks of fur missing all over her body. We can't tell how badly wounded she was because her fur is so dense, we can't see down to the skin. I'm really concerned about FIV and FeLV though, since her water and food were both kept outdoors. Another thing, she has lost a noticeable amount of weight, but this could be because the awful person who took care of her only fed her cat chow once a day.

I know Smo was vaccinated for rabies this year, but don't think she's had any other booster shots. I am really worried for her and want to make sure the vet checks her over for anything she might have gotten while she was outdoors. Other than worms, fleas, FIV and FeLV, are there other tests I need to request? They'll probably know what to do at the vet's but I suppose I'm asking for peace of mind. I'm worried she could be sick from something I didn't think of.

Thanks everyone for your input and for all your wonderful advice on my previous posts about this.

Last edited:

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I'm glad you got your kitty back. It sounds like she is catching up on her rest, and seems good that she has a healthy appetite!

I think your vet will know what to look/test for if you let them know she's been outside for several months. They will have a good idea of what potential diseases or parasites are prevalent in your area. One thing I thought I would mention though, is that tape worms are usually something that cats get from infected fleas, so if she has tape worms she probably should be treated for fleas as well.

Good luck! I hope your girl feels better soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wile Wile She's acting more like her old self every day! She's gone from sleeping most of the time to giving me 'tude like she used to do. Also I'm relieved that her eliminations all look great. Really hoping the vet will tell me she doesn't have anything serious wrong with her. I do plan on getting her treated for fleas, and she could definitely use a good bath...lol.

Thanks so much for the well wishes!