Cat has been having diarrhea for at least a month now

arrow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I have about a 9 month old kitten Arrow who was spayed at 6 months. Her food hasn't really changed, and before she was spayed she was using the litter pan and everything was normal. But then not directly after spayed, but still after, she started running around the house, pooping uncontrollably as she went. We waited for a few days then took her to the vet. Turns out she had 4 hair ties in her tummy and they did surgery to take them out. The constant diarrhea has not stopped and it's been about a month since that surgery, we keep her locked in the bathroom through the day when we can't watch her ( it's pretty easy to tell when she's going to now because she's done it so much. We keep track of her eating schedule and how much she's pooped since she ate) and now she mostly poops in the litter box but sometimes it's around the bathroom. The poop is a very bad smelling dull yellow/greenish color. She's on Purina Natural and we even switched to the grain free version with no change in poop. The not helpful vet now has her on probiotics but those also are not helping. The poop is the only symptom. She eats, plays, drinks, and everything else normally. Please help, we are getting to be very desperate parents who just want to be able to let their cat out :(

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it might be bile that you're seeing you sure she has not gotten a food allergy? Might want to have a blood test done too. It's possible something is up with her liver (bile is made in the liver)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
She may have 'pica syndrome', which is the eating of non-food stuffs, e.g., hair ties. 

https://www.vetary.com/cat/condition/pica

My cat, Brian, had it and I had to be extremely careful about leaving anything at all on the floor as he would eat: elastic bands, he would have loved a tasty hair tie, plastic food bag ties and general bits of plastic, bits of wood like matchsticks, bits of candle wax, shards of metal, cotton thread, you name it if it were on the floor it was fair game.  

Check what is available in your bathroom to munch on, bearing mind any small object will do.  You might be locking her in with her problem.  

I'm hoping that it is behavioural pica (not caused by disease) as it's easy to control by being vigilant.  

Last edited:

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did the pooping issues start about two weeks after her vet visit?

Last edited:

LovelyStyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female cat ate some scented candle wax and maybe some of the wick. Damn roommate refuses to let our house remain cat proof. The cat vomited shortly thereafter and has had stools. I noticed some different texture stool, which I believe could be some of the wax. I'm now noticing diarrhea. I've done a huge amount of internet research and have been monitoring her eating, drinking, as well as her stools. I can't afford $300 diagnostic testing at vet. Would need to beg and borrow from people. Should I start now?