Cat Has Been Going Outside The Box For Over A Year

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! After putting my 18-year old female down in 2015, our 4 year old neutered male, Sammy dealt with depression afterwards. Not only was there a loss of a cat but my mother was no longer home during the day so he was a lonely boy! I ended up adopting a five year old neutered male from the ASPCA in November of 2016! This sweet boy whom I named Poe, is very sweet and loving. The ASPCA said he was a former stray which I found odd because he was so sweet and incredibly curious and open towards Sammy (who was far more standoffish at first, but he'd never had a new cat come in, he was always the new and friendly one). It took about two months but Sammy warmed up to Poe and now regularly grooms Poe and they play and hang out together. They're the same age but Sammy is the one in charge and they both look out for each other!

At first it started as defecating outside the box in corners in our two downstairs rooms (the living room and the dining room). These rooms are popular rooms for the cats as the dining room became our library and their cat tree was in there. The living room is a favorite as the boys, especially Poe, love to sit and look outside. Not only this, but Poe started defecating on the beds we used in his quarantine room: the spare room that had his litter box for the first month. I'm not always the best at our litter box so I just kept working on making sure I was hitting it more frequently (generally I'd been doing it once/twice a week). There was only one box at the time.

After we found more spots recently (the defecation didn't seem to be frequent. It would happen every few months if he didn't have access to the spare room), I purchased another litter box and put it in my bathroom. So the "main" litter box is in the utility room by the laundry machines. We've always had one litter box for two cats and it was never really an issue but I figured new personalities.

We're in the process of remodeling our house so this weekend my parents were pulling up the carpet in the dining room. There are urine stains centered around a corner by the windows where we'd seen him defecate before and this morning? Poe stood on the front rug and peed before pawing at it trying to cover it up. when I got downstairs to clean it up and blast it with Nature's Miracle, I saw him chilling out in the downstairs litter box like no big deal. He has a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon. I've spent the last three weeks suspecting this is a personality quirk but now I'm hesitant.

The urine doesn't smell strong until you get up really close and I'm worried that it's his thyroid or kidney because shouldn't urine smell more? I was speaking with my coworker this morning and she pointed out given Poe's amiable nature, that instead of growing up stray, he could have been dumped by a family because he was peeing outside the box.

I have one diffuser of Feliway I plugged into the dining room this morning and just dropped another $165 this morning on five more plug-ins to put downstairs, since we will be having construction start in May. I had posted about him a few months ago as to his behavior towards me: he doesn't like me trimming his nails or being touchy with him but he likes to show off to any new comers and the people at the vet. When I take him to the vet for his nail trim, he just rolls on his back and invites all the attention (but scratches me up when I try to put him in the cage to actually take him. My mom apparently has a firmer hand?).

ETA: He's also quite the talker! He likes to stand in certain rooms and talk talk talk when the house is more quiet and then I talk back to him. He'll either run up the stairs to say hello or just talk some more.

I won't abandon him/give him up/put him down. He's a member of the family, my child! He may not be cuddly, but I love him so much. So any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

fleur4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I'm sorry this is happening to you, I know exactly what you're going through, I started the thread about my cat suddenly deciding she's too good for the litter box. Some of the answers there might help you. I have the same issues as you, my beloved cat died from pancreatitis on Dec. 3. My husband and I missed her terribly so we got another cat at the end of Dec, a 3 year old Siamese. Everything was great until about 2 weeks ago when she started to do her business on the living room rug.
My vet suggested Dr. Elsey's Cat Attraction Litter, but he wasn't very optimistic about it. I didn't have much hope either but it worked!! I ordered it online and got it Saturday and poured a big pile of it Saturday night and my baby has been using it ever since! I hate Dr Elsey's litter, it's clumping and gets all over the apartment, it's like living at the beach, but it's better than living with doody all over the place!
For your info, 20 lb box of this litter on Chewy.com is $13, but $26 on Amazon.
Also, my cat liked Feliway, it made her go to sleep right away, but didn't solve the problem.
I don't know how long this new litter will work, my girl might go right back to her bad habits tomorrow, who knows? But I feel the same way you do, there's no way I'm giving her up, she's family.
Good luck, keep us posted and don't lose hope!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using clumping litter? Do you scoop it every day? Is your cat getting some canned food every day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you using clumping litter? Do you scoop it every day? Is your cat getting some canned food every day?
Hi,
My vet suggested Dr. Elsey's Cat Attraction Litter, but he wasn't very optimistic about it. I didn't have much hope either but it worked!! I ordered it online and got it Saturday and poured a big pile of it Saturday night and my baby has been using it ever since! I hate Dr Elsey's litter, it's clumping and gets all over the apartment, it's like living at the beach, but it's better than living with doody all over the place!
  • I've used World's Best Cat Litter since my old girl Prissy was peeing on the bed. It helped her stop but I actually hadn't considered that maybe he doesn't like the litter! He has his claws still. That is a good point!
  • I haven't used the Cat Attraction litter but I have been using the cat attract additive and that has helped curb the pooping outside the litterbox.
  • I do not scoop every day simply because it's a habit I haven't built. In the summer the cats tend to go outside because Poe loves laying on the roof of our glider and Sammy likes laying in our chairs outside.
  • We've been supplementing wet food more for Sammy than anything. Sammy loves his gravy! But he wouldn't eat all of it (except licking the gravy off) and then Poe would have some but either the bowl would be scraped clean or, more often, there would be a lot left over. So right now it's not every day. They eat Blue Buffalo dry food, and we have talked about making our own wet food once the kitchen is finished with remodelling.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I would try to scoop the litterboxes everyday if you can. And maybe increase the canned food. You could try a different texture like Shreds or Pate. Male cats really need the moisture from wet food to keep the pee problems away.

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I would try to scoop the litterboxes everyday if you can. And maybe increase the canned food. You could try a different texture like Shreds or Pate. Male cats really need the moisture from wet food to keep the pee problems away.
Hi Maggie,

We've been trying to change it up every week between the shreds/chunks/pate as well as flavors. I'm going to get a bigger water feeder for them and up the litter box cleaning. He's absolutely using the box for pooping now since I did the second one, but he's not using that second litter box for peeing. I think I'll try some new litters for that upstairs box as well :)

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After two hours at the vet last night: Poe has tapeworm and a blood clot in his bladder. Vet dewormed and gave him a antibiotic shot that should last from 10-14 days. He recommended trying to minimize stress as much as possible (we're in the middle of getting ready for a house remodel but I'm getting a bunch of feliway plug ins) and I have a pain killer to give him twice a day (he tore up my shirt and bit my mom this morning when we tried to give it to him). I'm going to switch the upstairs litter box to Dr Elseys and see if that works better than just the cat attract additive.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice :)

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your kitty is so sick! That would probably explain a lot of this.
I never had luck with the Feliway products at all.
Maybe think about letting your cats become indoor cats from now on. I've heard a lot of folks have issues with the litter box because their cats are indoor outdoor. They don't make the littler box connection too well because basically the world is their toilet.

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry your kitty is so sick! That would probably explain a lot of this.
I never had luck with the Feliway products at all.
Maybe think about letting your cats become indoor cats from now on. I've heard a lot of folks have issues with the litter box because their cats are indoor outdoor. They don't make the littler box connection too well because basically the world is their toilet.
Thanks Timmer. I've been thinking about it too. It's winter right now, so the most they do is sit on the back steps for a few minutes, look at the surroundings, and come back in. Once spring comes around, Poe loves to climb up on top of the swing to lay sleeping in the sun. I'd hate to deprive him of that. However...

Given that he was a stray until we adopted him, he was never truly litter trained and... well I let him down there.