Cat has Asthma or Respiratory Infection?

Deserted Lune Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister, brother in law and I have adopted 3 cats. Among them are two males (2.5y & 1)and one female (Pippy 2yr). The female was born lean and relatively smaller than her two siblings which were plump and chubby kittens, although Pippy was energetic, playful and naughty. About 30 days after birth, since the weather was cold and they spent the daytime outdoors, Pippy began sneezing and showed symptoms of cold. After a few days the mom started ignoring her and put her away from the siblings, at this time I took her to the vet and he diagnosed a respiratory infection, have her antibiotics in an IV she got better as we fed her kitten formula and brought her home.
Ever since she sneezes and expels green mucus from her nose, occassionally wheezes and has dust allergy. We try to remove the excessive mucus to help her breathe, however she is healthy, playful and energetic and even has playful fights with the boys.
I have come across some info that wheezing is a symptom of asthma. Not sure if the doctors will help us diagnose it. Are there some particular tests we should requests, be on the lookout for other symptoms, if yes what could they be?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Asthma is an illness of the lungs, coughing, wheezing, and shallow breathing are symptoms. Mucous from the nose usually indicates upper respiratory illnesses. Good, warm humidity helps with that, along with even antibiotics and steroids if it is bacterial. It could even be allergies. You may do some research and help to support her immune system and respiratory tract with something like Lung Gold for cats. i get mine on Amazon. My cats have Leukemia and one of my little ones had extreme respiratory infections, with mucous building up to the point it dripped and he had real problems breathing. He also couldn't smell so lost a lot of weight from refusing to eat. I tried 'Nose Relief' from Amazon for cats and it seemed to really help. I put it in Hartz Delectable Lickabels in the stew flavors and he ate a tiny amount every time. The ONLY thing he ate during one of these episodes. He has been symptom-free now for a year since I started him on DMG to help with his immunity problems, keeping the Nose Relief on hand, just in case. It is inexpensive and you might try it. I hope this gives you some hope that if you keep on researching and trying, eventually you might find help with Pippy. By reaching out for help you are starting down that path! All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deserted Lune Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking out the time to reply!
Having lost her ability to smell she did refuse to eat and lost weight hence having to force feed her when she was little.
And yes she is allergic to dust. Unfortunately, vets in our city don't have the same proficiency in cat treatment as they do with dogs, but we will definitely try the aids you have mentioned and hopefully they workout!
We are trying different things to ease these symptoms as it seems a life long ordeal for the little one.
Thank you!
Wishing you and your kitties health and safety!