Cat has an allergy to something, where do I start??

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You commented on Krissy in another thread, and I wanted to check in. So the grain free is not helping?  

I'll have to tell you, a few months ago I switched Boo over to Fancy Feast, Friskies, Sheba, etc. because I knew he liked them and I wanted him to eat more. Being a senior cat at all (turned 14 in February), I figured I'd give him what he likes for the remainder of his time. After a couple months, he started scratching his neck, face, and ears like crazy. Patches of hair were missing from his ears, his ears would get really red and hot after eating, and he kept getting a recurring ear infection in the one ear. I could only conclude that he was reacting to the "junk" foods! I've had to stop them, and he hates me for it. But the scratching has subsided quite a bit. It is a battle every day finding a food he will eat enough of. I'm not exactly sure what caused the reaction. At first, I tried to eliminate chicken, beef, and fish, but that left me with very few foods to give him. I've added chicken back in, but it's too early to tell if he's reacting to chicken. We'll see.

I feel your pain!

zoocat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually, it was back when Krissy was eating dry diet Iams that she did not show any signs of allergies, I hate to say this but now that she is mainly eating canned food and just a small amt of dry during the day, this is when I have noticed her licking and chewing all the time.
As well as her eos being twice what the normal level is, ruled out parasites and fleas, so allergies is all that's left.

So I'm starting from scratch with this, trying to start somewhere, and am more lost than ever on this.

Honestly I think I should eliminate fish and grains as a start, so what would be advisable/appropriate canned and dry foods that she will actually eat that don't have grains or fish?

Maybe if I just started with fish and deal with grains later, since Iams which has plenty of grain didn't give her a reaction. Not to mention, grain free canned she will not eat except fancy feast. (chicken and turkey pate)

No, that's not gonna do it either, after I typed that I thought about how she only gets under a half a can of fish flavored for dinner.

See?! It's making me a nut case already....
The Wellness Core Turkey and Duck is grain free and also fish and chicken free....that is the dry I feed my guys, one of which tends to lick and chew on himself. He is much better eating this for his dry food....And only grain free wet.