Cat has a problem and I need help!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lori - I just love all the pics you are posting of your baby. She is such a stunning cat.

I think that until you can change your living situation, or your roommate's mind (fat chance, I know
), keeping Sugar in your room as much as possible is probably the best solution. I would only let her out when you can supervise your roommate with her, or if you know your roommate won't be home. It's kind of sad to have to keep that beautiful girl locked up, but it sounds like she is happier without having to deal with your roommate.

I just can't get over how gorgeous she is! WOW!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lori42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well thank you! I think Sugar is a little hottie cat too! Can you believe she was a stray??? Someone didn't want that precious little baby! I just found her on my doorstep in the dead of winter. So I took her in and fed her and the whole nine yards. After about a month and I still couldn't find her owner, I'd kinda grown to love her, so I kept her. I was really lucky cause she was already fixed and already declawed! I went and had her get her shots, even though they thought she'd probably already had them. I figured better safe than sorry, right?

Anyway I think she is okay with being in my room. She really likes to be near a window so she can look outside. This picture is of her of course by the window, but in the background is Ginger (the FAT cat) sleeping after she just polished off Sugar's bowl of food. I don't know what it is that Sugar thought she saw, but she was just about ready to pounce on it!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is very lucky that you found her. Declawed cats have little or no chance of making it on the outside since they have lost their natural defences.

Actually, being declawed could explain a lot of things. Since Sugar doesn't feel she can defend herself against your roommate, that could be why she is peeing on her things instead. From your first post, it sounds like she usually uses the litterbox, or at least has done so in the past. That is a fairly common problem with declawed cats. When they amputate the first knuckle to declaw, it is painful for the cat in general, but can be very painful scraping the litter. They then associate that pain with the litterbox and won't use it.

She is such a beauty, and sounds like she has a great purrsonality too. I can't imagine someone throwing her out on the streets. At least she has you now.

lori42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sugar is a great kitty! She normally does use the litterbox so thats why I find it odd that she wouldn't know.

I discovered something interesting last night. The vet made me buy some of that pherimone stuff for my cat. I sprayed it where I think she is peeing and stuff and discovered, she hates the stuff! BUT...my roommates cats, they thought it was wonderful. In fact, they rolled around on the floor where I had sprayed it and laid there for hours! They were on little kitty highs...I think. Strange huh?

By the way, thanks for all the wonderful comments on how pretty sugar is. I thought shew as gorgeous and growing up with an all black cat, made Sugar very appealing to me.

fitzy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If the peeing was going on every day, I'd keep her in your room while your gone AND always keep her in sight or in your room when your home. That way if the peeing happens again you can say--I know it wasn't Sugar because she's been in my room for the whole week and wasn't anywhere near your stuff. That way there's no question whose cats are doing what. Hope this helps.

lori42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is a good chance I'm spelling that wrong. BUT....I've noticed my cat can't stand the smell of them. I spray them and they are odorless to me, but my cat definitely doesn't like them. However, my roommates cats are apparently drug addicts. They both will go lay wherever I spray them and in a matter of minutes they are all weird and stuff.

So...why is my cat hating the smell but her's loving it?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Typically feliway spray is to stop males from spraying and mounting other cats.If your roomates kitties are males, this would explain why they like it and your female does not. If they are females, then guess I am wrong.

lori42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe they are gender confused! They are all females. I don't know why her cats just LOVE it, but my cat can't stand it! She won't go anywhere it has been sprayed. I have noticed that in my basement where I sprayed it, there are now TONS of bugs. Is that normal? Maybe I should consult a kitty psychiatrist!