Cat Hair

abby7625

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there a cat groomer in your area?

As far as the checkerboard design, you need to be cutting with the hair and not against. For example, to do her back, start at her tail and go up to her head. Do not go side to side. When you cut against the hair growth, it causes a shingled appearance because the hair lays differently than the way you are cutting.

Thats about all the advice I can give you. I wouldn't touch my cats with anything that buzzes because they would have me ripped to shreds in record time so you are braver than I am!

Save the baseball bat for your computer the next time it acts up..

Have you tried brushing her while shes sleeping? Just a sneak up swipe or two every so often? Or get her while shes asleep and when she wakes just pet her till she goes back to sleep and do a bit more? My mom used to brush her siamese cat that way.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes but their prices start at $50 up to $80. On my budget, that's three months of food and kitty litter. Not an option. You know, she feels better after she is clipped, she comes over and wants lovings and huggings. Why can't cats understand that all we want to do is help them? (The eternal question)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellen54

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your help. I read in another cat forum that birds like to make their nest out of cat hair. So I'm going to start putting my cat hair outside for them.

leo_jasminesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have tried some of the vitamin supplements that help them only have a shed cycle once a year and it helps decrease the shedding a lot! You still have hair but its not near as much. I love Mrs. Allen's Shed Stop but it is becoming increasingly hard to find!

bossinova

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a wonderful brush that was stiff bristles on one side to pick up the hair, and the other side has soft, which also picks up hair but also makes it lay and look smooth and soft. I also purchased a pair of gloves that have little rubber dimples all over them. Tank will let me use these on him, but Stinky will have none of it. She slinks way to the ground and takes off! I've also wondered about all the hair. My boyfriend seems to be allergic and complains at least once a week about it. I've found excessive vacuuming to be helpful, but not always practical with our (I mean MY, he never vacuums
) busy schedules. But that's about the end to what I can offer as advice...

chastidy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Uggh..cat hair. I have a persian and a siamese so I vacuum everyday, have my furniture slipcovered. I wash the slipcovers once a week. I dust with a damp cloth. My persian likes to be brushed with a human brush- She won't let me brush her with anything else! And I have to brush my hair with it first or it's a no go.

twofatcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My short-haired cat, Red Cat, used to refuse to be combed or brushed. I thought I would lose an arm trying, so I gave up. Then a year or two later I got Purdy, a long-hair, who definitely needed lots of combing and brushing. Apparently Red Cat got "jealous" of all the attention Purdy was getting, so kept trying to get between the comb and Purdy, demanding that HE be combed! (Oh, cats aren't supposed to be able to be jealous, are they?) Now Red Cat "asks" to be combed a couple of times a day.

The big problem here is all the hair from the long-haired cat. I haven't solved the problem, but do comb or brush daily. I cover my sofa with a sheet. (Only have company half a dozen times a year and never use the living room myself, so may as well.) I wash my bedspread every two weeks. I got one of those lint removers that is like a four-inch-wide masking tape, which I use on clothing.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abby7625

There is alot of talk about a zoom groom. I bought one and Sam poo-pooed it big time. He only lets me brush him with a flea comb or he bites me. Sally prefers the flea comb too. But my cats seem to be rather rotten and set in their ways. I have seen alot of people say their cats love the zoom groom. I got one at PetSmart for about $8 I believe.
Our monsters love the zoom groom. They love a regular brush, too. There's always enough hair in the waste basket to knit a couple of kittens -- they make sure of it.

monica's six

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone tried one of these for getting fur off of furniture / carpet?

http://www.petco.com/product_info.as...6+Sponges&ct3=

I keep seeing this rubber nubbed broom advertised on TV and they sell them in the Petco stores, though I can't find them on their website. I'd love to know if these things work, because I'm amazed at how much cat fur my cats leave on my stairs and it'd be much easier to use a brush like what I saw on TV.

I have Groom EEZE gloves like these that I use to groom my cats. They are the grey ones at the top. They have 3/8" spikes on them and they are the best things since sliced bread.

http://www.vetvax.com/mittsgloves.html

They all LOVE the glove, hence I nicknamed it the Love Glove even though there is another product with that name (which sucks BTW). The only issue with these gloves is that they are a plastic piece hot glued to latex gloves and latex gloves dry/rot over time so they need to be replaced every so often.

Look at the deal on these gloves on E-Bay... I need some new ones... This is awesome! I can have them all over the house!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW