Cat hair look greasy all the time

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is long-haired and mostly white with a little bit of blue. Around her cheeks and the front of her neck area, it's always stained yellow no matter how much I wipe down the area. I don't know if it's the food. When I got her she was eating Royal Canin babycat so I've just continued, but now I've introduced Weruva chicken and turkey mix and also Nature's Variety Instinct LID turkey. She eats all of these.

I've tried those cat shampoos and they help a little but she gets back to being yellow stained and greasy looking by the next day at least. I also wipe her eyes with this a tear stain remover (I forgot the brand).

The top of her head and back is nice and fluffy all the time but parts of her look greasy, especially like I said, the front of her neck and cheeks. Do you think it's her diet? I add vitamins and lysine in her food (from Kitty Bloom). Maybe she needs some sort of hair supplement.

Should I shave the parts on her front that stained? Maybe the new hair will grow out better and less greasy.

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am mostly replying so I will get a notification if anyone else replies. I have a pure white cat who also looks greasy... she doesn't get stained yellow so much, but that cat is constantly grooming, and it isn't enough. She gets feline acne, both bad blackheads and an occasional pimple.  Puffy is a rescue and when she was found she had lost most of her fur due to mange and it has just never grown back completely right.  her coat is pretty thin and she sheds ALOT.  She also gets dermatitis, especially around the base of her tail.  Not sure what to do to help her.  We brush her daily and wash her with a washrag on occasion, but we don't really bathe her often as she hates it and when we were bathing her, we would end up bloody, she would go into hiding for a couple days, and it didn't really help.  So, even if no one has an answer, I am interested in knowing if this is a white cat trait?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have any photos? 

I am not sure from your description what it could be and the photos might not give me a better idea. But there may be someone who sees it and recognizes it from the visual instead of the description. 

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh..... she's a Persian (or Persian mix). That makes a huge difference because of their coats. Their coats were, essentially, engineered by breeding and there is simply no way for them to maintain it on their own. None. Zip. They require a concentrated effort from their humans to prevent problems with their coats. Even that needs to be done in the proper manner.  At a guess, I would say that her problems are likely due to grooming issues not diet. Especially since Persians are known for getting matted and greasy if not groomed correctly. And please, don't think I am judging you for the greasy, you calling her a long hair instead of a Persian mix tells me you may not have been aware of her heritage or the needs of it. 

I personally stick to short hairs so this is information I have figured out from some searching and past conversations with people who have long hair cats. Maybe someone with Persians would have some more specific advice. 

How often does she get a bath? How often is she groomed? 

If she is amenable, take her to a groomer and get a professional cleaning done. Regardless of if you decided to continue grooming at home after or schedule regular appointments with the groomer. I would do a professional for right now to make sure it is taken care of properly and you have a good base to start from and develop a routine with. Please keep in the back of your mind that they may ask if you want a lion cut which is shaving the body but leaving the face and paws fluffy. If they do make sure they don't do the tail either; I've heard that shaving the tail takes forever to grow back. But sometimes a lion cut is the best option when you have a persistent problem to get a clean slate. Talk to the groomer and I would listen to their advice (assuming you don't go to a petco or petsmart groomer and find someone with cat experience). You can skip the groomer and just handle it at home if you decide that is the best option; but I would still lean towards finding a good groomer and asking to be present so you can pick up some tips on how to do it from here on out. 

General guideline is brushing daily and bathing twice a month. Since she has a grease problem you likely should degrease first before shampooing. My guess would be that the grease is returning quickly from normal shampoo because it is not a degreasing and so the grease is just spread temporarily. 

This website has a really nice step by step on Persian grooming that really covers how to get rid of grease build up :https://www.pelaqitapersians.com/persian-cat-grooming.php

Here are some forum topics on it: 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/333099/ideas-for-grooming-a-very-stubborn-persian

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/102/grooming-persians

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links. She hasn't been greasy like this until the last 2 weeks or so. I do give her at least 2 baths a month, but they haven't been helping as I mentioned. I don't want to give her more baths than that because I fear it would strip her natural oils. I did read that they should be given baths at least once if not twice a month so that's what I did. I have tried two different shampoos. I also tried Dawn dish soap because I read that would get rid of the grease and corn starch. Recently got a degreaser in the mail, so I'll be giving that a try next.  What I also do is I wipe her face down with water after her meals. She does a lot of grooming by herself, but I suppose that is not an area she can really groom. Her brother grooms her a lot on her face though. At one point I thought he was making her like that because of all the tongue bathing he was giving her but probably not.

I've been taking notes of her food. I have recently noticed that Royal Canin is what makes her worse. At least, when I give her only the Nature's Variety Instinct and the Weruva, she doesn't get super greasy. Her coat is fine, but just still a bit yellow, but less so.

Still, it would be nice to know what is the cause of the greasiness and yellowing. I wonder if it is something I should take her to the vet for. She otherwise is fine.

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know how to edit a post but I just wanted to say that thankfully my cats are fine with grooming. While they don't like it, I am also able to bath them just fine. She puts up a fuss and meows a lot but it's manageable. She will end up wanting to sit on my shoulder to get away. One other thing is that it's hard to find stuff when you're not in the US. All the suggested products are US based that's harder to find in Canada. Like that Groomer's Goop I read about is so expensive if I tried to buy it here. What's a good degreaser I can get in Canada? The one I just got in the mail is Les Poochs and it was so expensive.

I just read from one of the above links that it's good to get a comb with a rotating teeth. Didn't know about that before. I have one of the furminator combs, but it doesn't have rotating teeth.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try finding a local Persian breeder and asking what products they recommend. I am not sure what products are available to you, I am in the US.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a retired Persian breeder. The staining may be from water. Does your cat get her face down into the water? Here is an article I wrote about grooming.

http://posiepurrs.webs.com/showinfoandresources.htm

Now this is for show grooming but it could be adjusted for a maintenance bath, Just use down through the Clean Start shampoo (you can substitute another clarifying shampoo). It can be ordered on line as well as the Eqyss Premier shampoo. The most important thing, even more than the shampoo, is the rinsing. Rinse until you think all the shampoo is rinsed out and then rinse more. Always dilute product or you will have a difficult time rinsing it out.

Don't brush - use a comb.

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I am a retired Persian breeder. The staining may be from water. Does your cat get her face down into the water? Here is an article I wrote about grooming.

http://posiepurrs.webs.com/showinfoandresources.htm

Now this is for show grooming but it could be adjusted for a maintenance bath, Just use down through the Clean Start shampoo (you can substitute another clarifying shampoo). It can be ordered on line as well as the Eqyss Premier shampoo. The most important thing, even more than the shampoo, is the rinsing. Rinse until you think all the shampoo is rinsed out and then rinse more. Always dilute product or you will have a difficult time rinsing it out.

Thank you! I have the Christ Christensen shampoo in my shopping bag on amazon. Can't remember if they ship to Canada. I use a comb on her face but when you say don't brush, do you mean her whole body don't brush? Why is that? I use a furminator and also a silver toothed comb. Not sure if the furminator is considered a brush or a comb.

I was definitely not rinsing enough after shampooing.

Hm I've never thought about the water. I don't think she dips her face in it, but I don't catch her with the water too often. I feed them extra water from a syringe.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Persian has a thick undercoat. If you just brush, it doesn't get all the way to the skin and while the cat will look perfectly groomed on top, the undercoat will be a matted mess. I never use a brush, always just comb. Don't get me started on the Furminator!
I hate that thing, but it is because I need my cats to have as much coat as possible to show. For a cat not being shown it is fine (hurts me to admit it though!). One other possibility about the greasy looking face, if she does get her face wet when drinking the coat will dry funky looking - all clumpy and could be mistaken for being greasy since greasy coat clump too. The staining could be from the kibble. I don't feed kibble but imagine there is coloring put into it when manufactured. It  will just have to grow out once you figure out the cause. Don't try a whitener on it because that will make it more likely to stain. One product you could try is Eye Envy. It is expensive (the refrigerated kind), but it works removing staining. If there are any dog shows close to you you usually can pick it up there and save on mailing costs. As for rinising, if she will tolerate it, the easiest way to be sure she is completely rinsed is to float her coat. That means, run water in the tub or sink up to her neck and let the coat float away from the body. Any soap left will make a noticeable residue on top of the water so you know to rinse more. Use a cloth to rinse her face, and do it the same as I said before - until you think it is rinsed enough and then rinse more. Just remember to keep the soap and water out of her eyes and ears.

I hope some of this helps. Please keep posting photos of her - she looks stunning - maybe consider showing her in Household Pet if you don't have her registration?

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is adorable in that photo! Household pet class is where you can show cats who don't have a registration as a pedigreed cat. In the Cat Fanciers Association, where I show, you register your cat as a household pet. Household pets are awarded rosettes and titles just like cats shown in championship or premiership. I have shown one of my cats as a household pet since he didn't meet the breed standard requirements (he has the wrong color eyes). He did quite well but since he was registered as a pedigree  and not as a household pet it did not count. It was really quite fun.

shapopo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat is adorable in that photo! Household pet class is where you can show cats who don't have a registration as a pedigreed cat. In the Cat Fanciers Association, where I show, you register your cat as a household pet. Household pets are awarded rosettes and titles just like cats shown in championship or premiership. I have shown one of my cats as a household pet since he didn't meet the breed standard requirements (he has the wrong color eyes). He did quite well but since he was registered as a pedigree  and not as a household pet it did not count. It was really quite fun.
Oh that’s interesting thanks. Might be fun to do once I figure out her yellowing issue haha.

KatsPurrrsians

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Show Info and Resources

I tried to click your link but it's not coming up. I'd love to read it!!! If you can message it to me or repost it I'd be most grateful!

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather than try the link again, here is the article in it's entirety, minus the cat photos.
Grooming article
The following is an article I had a hand in writing on grooming a golden for the shows. It is merely what I do - there are as many ways to groom a cat for the ring as there are exhibitors. I feel that grooming took me a long time to learn so if I can help anyone with this, I would love too.This article as well as others are available on the Dixieland Silver and Golden Fanciers website at this link: dixielandsg.com

How to Show groom a shaded golden Persian
These are the products and tools I use when bathing and preparing my Golden Persians for Show day:

Goop: dilute 2:1 with water in squeeze bottle for ease of applying;
Dawn Dish Soap: dilute 2:1 with water (this step can be left out if the cat does not have a greasy coat);
Chris Christensen Clean Start Shampoo: dilute according to directions;
Eqyss Premier Shampoo: use according to directions;
Vitacoat Marron: 1/4 cup shampoo to 3/4 cup water (the color shampoo should be a color brightening shampoo--another good choice is Jerob Mahagony Gold);
Chris Christensen Thick and Thicker Volume Response Foaming Protein: use according to directions;
Chris Christensen After-U-Bathe (Final Rinse Solution): use according to label directions;
Davis Volume Mousse
Standard Greyhound comb
Face comb
Blunt nosed scissors
Thinning shears
Several towels
Washcloths
White paper towels
Sink sprayer attachment
Nail clippers
Razor (or eyebrow shaper)

My first step is to comb out the kitty thoroughly, making sure every tangle is combed out. Then I sculpt the face, pluck the top head and trim the eyes. To sculpt, I comb the coat forward around the face, starting just in front of the ears. I use my finger to 'draw' a smile from the corners of the mouth and pluck anything that distorts the happy face, giving a nice round cheek. If the cat has the hair between the eye brows that gives them a frowny appearance, I comb that up, run a comb through the middle to part it and use my thinning shears on each side of the part to even it out. Just remember, take just a little off - you can always take more, but you can't put it back! I pluck the tufts (devil horns) between the ears, and trim the eye lashes. The ears are rounded off when the cat is wet since I find it easier for me. I do not trim the eye brow whiskers off as some do - I think it makes the cat look perpetually surprised.

I apply the Goop, parting the coat as I go to get it all the way down to the skin. When completely applied, I leave it on the cat for 10 minutes. Work through and rinse.

Shampoo with the Dawn. Rinse.

Apply the Clean Start. Rinse.

Apply Premier Shampoo. Rinse.

Apply the color brightening shampoo such as Vitacoat Marron or Jerob Mahogany Gold and allow to remain on coat for five minutes. I usually brush the teeth while this is on. I wet the face with the washcloth and then use it to apply some of the color enhancing shampoo to the face, being careful not to get in the eyes. Rinse the face with the wash cloth. Rinse.

Next I apply the Thick and Thicker and leave on for at least three minutes. I clean the ears while waiting. Rinse.

Then I apply the After-U-Bathe and leave that on the coat for 3 minutes. Rinse.

Rinse again and again. I rinse until the water runs clear and then float the coat. Repeat if needed. You can never rinse to much!

Wrap in a towel. Allow the kitty rest if you feel the cat needs it. I clip nails while the cat is resting wrapped in the towel. I also trim the ears, rounding them off.

Next I shave the nose, using a cotton swab with a tiny bit of soap to smooth the process. If the cat has a dimple in the middle of the nose (and some of mine do) I use an eye brow shaper to shave the nose.

Next I use a roll of white paper towels to blot as much water out of the coat as possible, rubbing with the coat growth.

Apply the Davis Volume to the wet coat.

Now it is time to start drying. My cats are a challenge since they hate the dryer. Ideally we dry the rear first, blowing the coat forward and proceeding toward the head. When dry we comb out. I usually try to photograph them when done so I can see if I missed anything.

The following is an article I had a hand in writing on grooming a golden for the shows. It is merely what I do - there are as many ways to groom a cat for the ring as there are exhibitors. I feel that grooming took me a long time to learn so if I can help anyone with this, I would love too.This article as well as others are available on the Dixieland Silver and Golden Fanciers website at this link: dixielandsg.com

How to Show Groom/Bathe a Shaded Golden Persian
These are the products and tools I use when bathing and preparing my Golden Persians for Show day:

Goop: dilute 2:1 with water in squeeze bottle for ease of applying;
Dawn Dish Soap: dilute 2:1 with water (this step can be left out if the cat does not have a greasy coat);
Chris Christensen Clean Start Shampoo: dilute according to directions;
Eqyss Premier Shampoo: use according to directions;
Vitacoat Marron: 1/4 cup shampoo to 3/4 cup water (the color shampoo should be a color brightening shampoo--another good choice is Jerob Mahagony Gold);
Chris Christensen Thick and Thicker Volume Response Foaming Protein: use according to directions;
Chris Christensen After-U-Bathe (Final Rinse Solution): use according to label directions;
Davis Volume Mousse
Standard Greyhound comb
Face comb
Blunt nosed scissors
Thinning shears
Several towels
Washcloths
White paper towels
Sink sprayer attachment
Nail clippers
Razor (or eyebrow shaper)

My first step is to comb out the kitty thoroughly, making sure every tangle is combed out. Then I sculpt the face, pluck the top head and trim the eyes. To sculpt, I comb the coat forward around the face, starting just in front of the ears. I use my finger to 'draw' a smile from the corners of the mouth and pluck anything that distorts the happy face, giving a nice round cheek. If the cat has the hair between the eye brows that gives them a frowny appearance, I comb that up, run a comb through the middle to part it and use my thinning shears on each side of the part to even it out. Just remember, take just a little off - you can always take more, but you can't put it back! I pluck the tufts (devil horns) between the ears, and trim the eye lashes. The ears are rounded off when the cat is wet since I find it easier for me. I do not trim the eye brow whiskers off as some do - I think it makes the cat look perpetually surprised.

I apply the Goop, parting the coat as I go to get it all the way down to the skin. When completely applied, I leave it on the cat for 10 minutes. Work through and rinse.

Shampoo with the Dawn. Rinse.

Apply the Clean Start. Rinse.

Apply Premier Shampoo. Rinse.

Apply the color brightening shampoo such as Vitacoat Marron or Jerob Mahogany Gold and allow to remain on coat for five minutes. I usually brush the teeth while this is on. I wet the face with the washcloth and then use it to apply some of the color enhancing shampoo to the face, being careful not to get in the eyes. Rinse the face with the wash cloth. Rinse.

Next I apply the Thick and Thicker and leave on for at least three minutes. I clean the ears while waiting. Rinse.

Then I apply the After-U-Bathe and leave that on the coat for 3 minutes. Rinse.

Rinse again and again. I rinse until the water runs clear and then float the coat. Repeat if needed. You can never rinse to much!

Wrap in a towel. Allow the kitty rest if you feel the cat needs it. I clip nails while the cat is resting wrapped in the towel. I also trim the ears, rounding them off.

Next I shave the nose, using a cotton swab with a tiny bit of soap to smooth the process. If the cat has a dimple in the middle of the nose (and some of mine do) I use an eye brow shaper to shave the nose.

Next I use a roll of white paper towels to blot as much water out of the coat as possible, rubbing with the coat growth.

Apply the Davis Volume to the wet coat.

Now it is time to start drying. My cats are a challenge since they hate the dryer. Ideally we dry the rear first, blowing the coat forward and proceeding toward the head. When dry we comb out. I usually try to photograph them when done so I can see if I missed anything.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a solid white persian as well and she gets greasy around the scruff of her neck and her ears and I was them with johnsons baby wash (a very tiny bit) which seems to help a lot. She has skin issues though so I've never actually used a real cat shampoo.
I don't know if it was suggested, but maybe try trimming the hair around the face that is so long. In my theory I think that fur is probably both dragging in the food and the water