Cat Hair Ball With Brown Fluid Around it

Cassj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat puked up a hairball today that had dark fluid around it. Is this cause for concern? I was thinking it was just his food as his wet food is also very dark in colour. He is fine now and has no other symptoms.

Thanks!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
No, that's quite normal. Does he like to be groomed? Brushing helps to keep down the number of hairballs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cassj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thanks for response. And yes he loves it. He just has really long hair. Was thinking of getting him some hairball treats to help reduce :)

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi thanks for response. And yes he loves it. He just has really long hair. Was thinking of getting him some hairball treats to help reduce :)
Here's another consideration. For this summer you could have him receive a "Lions Cut" hairdo. I had this done when I had Maine Coon cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hairballs don't come out dry :) Some stomach fluid and saliva will come out along with the hairball.

There's a thread over in Nutrition originally discussing hairball food (not great to use) and is currently is discussing other hairball remedies such as egg yolk (no egg white) and slippery bark elm: Is hairball control cat food safe?