Cat had tick for 1+ week

HereKittyKitty!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have noticed a weird bump in my cat for awhile now. As I was petting him it fell out and it turned out to be a tick. It was huge and full with blood. We are going to test the tick for lyme disease and go from there. Is that a good way to take this? Can cats even get lyme disease? I need some advice.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be best to ask your vet for advice. A trip to the vet would be a good idea to check the cat all over for any other ticks or parasites and to get the cat started on a monthly parasite preventative. Does your cat go outdoors?

Cornell's vet school has this article about Lyme disease in cats: Lyme Disease: A Potential, But Unlikely, Problem for Cats | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

The Merck Veterinary Manual has this: Lyme Disease (Lyme Borreliosis) in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HereKittyKitty!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It would be best to ask your vet for advice. A trip to the vet would be a good idea to check the cat all over for any other ticks or parasites and to get the cat started on a monthly parasite preventative. Does your cat go outdoors?

Cornell's vet school has this article about Lyme disease in cats: Lyme Disease: A Potential, But Unlikely, Problem for Cats | Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine

The Merck Veterinary Manual has this: Lyme Disease (Lyme Borreliosis) in Cats - Cat Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual
Yes he is an out door cat. He is on a tick prevention right now ans we usually get the ticks before something like this happens. I will talk to my family about going to the vet.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very unlikely he would have got Lyme Disease from one tick. I have seen dogs and cats with dozens hanging off of them, it kinda makes you queasy. I use to pull ticks off my outdoor cat, the ones he couldn't do himself, and he lived to a ripe old age. I tried to sneak in some topical treatments for ticks, but he was pretty shy when it came to handling him.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends where you live. Some places don't have a lot of tick-borne diseases but some places have a very high rate. Anyway call the vet; they'll tell you if it should be tested or not.