Cat had one kitten and won't feed it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motherfaerie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got a latch! I managed to pet her down and get her to lay still and started trying to guide him on to the nipple. He wasn't into it at first but suddenly he opened up wide and just went to town. He had a poo sometime between the last formula feed and when he latched, too, so that's good. I sat there and watched him nurse for a good 10 minutes before I just left them to it. My husband is taking over for the night so hopefully we can get a repeat performance. :)

lillollypop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aaaww I'm so glad for you I'm up my cat is having slow labor only had three so far she still a lil big been having since 4. I'm so tired also I'm so glad everything is ok

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
We got a latch! I managed to pet her down and get her to lay still and started trying to guide him on to the nipple. He wasn't into it at first but suddenly he opened up wide and just went to town. He had a poo sometime between the last formula feed and when he latched, too, so that's good. I sat there and watched him nurse for a good 10 minutes before I just left them to it. My husband is taking over for the night so hopefully we can get a repeat performance.
Wonderful!   But to be on the safe side, proceed to weight him every day - here even every 12 hours, so you are SURE he is getting milk properly.  If he gains properly, good, you can lessen down on the syringe feeding.

Sometimes they nurse, and its nice and cozy, but they really dont get any milk, or not enough of it.   In such cases its super important to proceed and supplement feed them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hurray!!! Let's hope it continues! I believe he just needed encouragement and a little supplementing. He'll be getting lots of colostrum these first couple of days, which is good. It's full of rich nutrients.

As Stefan says, if you have a kitchen scale just weigh him in the am and the pm and jot down his weight. He needs to gain 6 to 10 grams s day. Let mama see you weigh him -do it where their nest is. This will help you know if he's nursing well and actually eating.

What a relief ! Hope you got some rest, and thank you for your efforts. Give an update later today or this evening as to how it's going. Remember, if mama isn't nursing him at least every couple hours for a period of time, he'll need supplementing. :)