Cat Had Giardia, Now May Have Ibd

Uhhhduhhitserika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey,
First off thanks to anyone who reads my thread because any advice/stories/help involving this topic would be extremely appreciated.
My cats name is Molly and she is a 9 year old lynx point Siamese for reference.
I took my cat to the vet for diarrhea a month ago. It randomly started, never had diarrhea before, and it’s been consistent. They did a fecal test and it was positive for giardia. They put her on meds and it cleared it up, fecal test showed up negative twice. But she was still having diarrhea and pooping herself. She doesn’t seem like she has lost weight, or loss appetite. She’s acting like her normal self besides the diarrhea. So I call the vet and then they suspect it could be ibd. So he just prescribed me a steroid for the next month to see how she reacts to it or if it helps. I’m just really frightened about this whole ordeal really. I don’t know what to do because I love Molly more than anything and I’m just afraid of her having ibd... I don’t know much about it or what to expect. I’m afraid if she truly has it then her life will be cut short and if that’s the case I will be absolutely broken. Does anyone have any advice or personal stories along with this topic that they would be willing to share? I really need someone to talk to about this because I’ve been feeling really depressed and just want my baby to be better. :-(

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its possible that she will have IBD, i would continue to work with your vet.

However i had a kitten with a bad case of giardia. He had three rounds of meds for it, and his test showed clear for everything for over a month or so before he quit with the diarrhea. I think, and my vet agreed that it can sometimes take a while before their digestive system truly gets over it and everything back in balance.

The steroids hopefully will help, as might a probiotic. Our vet had me give this, to my cat, we went through 2 tubes. But eventually he did get over the diarrhea, and has had no problems for the last 3 years. Rock solid tummy. So hopeful your girl does not have IBD and will get better soon! It can be hard on them, and us when they are having these problems. sending hugs :grouphug:

Vetoquinol Pro-Pectalin Anti-Diarrhea Oral Gel Dog & Cat Supplement

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IBD is very manageable and is NOT a death sentence nor does it shorten a cat's lifespan or ability to live a happy relatively healthy life :grouphug:

IBD is only truly diagnosed with a biopsy. Some people opt to do just an ultrasound because a biopsy can be expensive. Does your vet recommend either to get a more accurate diagnosis? Diarrhea can be caused by any number of things. Did the vet give your cat a thorough exam with blood work before he pronounced IBD and prescribe steroids?

I suggest getting a more definitive diagnosis for the cause of your cat's diarrhea instead of worrying yourself sick about possible IBD (or not). Get a second opinion from another vet if you need to.

If it does turn out to be IBD, there are good web sites on how to treat it as well as many threads here on TCS that discuss cats with IBD ad food options and medicine.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Giardia is a really difficult parasite to get under control. Sometime you need a couple of rounds of different treatments.. While I have not had to personally deal with it, I do know of a couple kitties in the shelter, who had it....

IBD is very complicated.. It is vastly unknown as to cause.. and why some cats have a predisposition to it, and others do not...

Have you taken a recent stool specimen to the Vet? I think the PCR is the best test for determining ongoing giardia..

If this was me, I think I would begin with another stool specimen, PCR testing on it, another round of meds.. and take it from there..

I think I would also try some probiotics..

Diarrhea is horrible to deal with.. but, I think I would try, just a little bit longer, before I started a work up for IBD.

This is just going from my experiences.. Is your cat vomiting, also...

If it does turn out to be IBD.. there are lots of meds, things to try..
We can help you there.. along with an Internal Medicine Vet...

Good luck!!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it could well still be the Giardia. Even if it is IBD don't be discouraged. I had an IBD cat, it is a matter of figuring out how to keep it controlled. That is different for each cat. My cat got 8 1/2 years with no major flares and only one very very mild and short flare.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Uhhhduhhitserika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just want to thank everyone for the responses. All very helpful and encouraging, also eases my worries and anxiety for my cat’s health. I am trying the medication my vet recommended and we’re doing a month trial with that to see if anything improves, and a special prescription diet. I started the medication today and the vet pharmacist said it will definitely help with any kind of inflammation, so that was good to hear. Luckily she got a chicken flavored medicine so hopefully she will not hate it hahah. I’m going to keep on the vet, like you guys recommended, about the possibility that it could still be giardia and see what he has to say and what we can do with figuring it out. Definitely will ask for testing for ibd as well. I want to be sure all the bases are covered. I’m just really glad to hear your personal experiences with the parasite and ibd, makes me feel less alone and comforted during this process. If anyone else wants to comment on this subject, I would always been keen to anymore personal experience or information I can receive. I really appreciate everyone’s contributing thoughts on this, really thank you all! <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Uhhhduhhitserika

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An update on my cat Molly
I’ve done the entire suggested month on the steroid budesonide for the apparent ibd after having giardia. My cat is still leaking poop every now and then, maybe like a couple times a day and still having loose smelly poops. I asked for a fecal test before hand ... the kind where they look under a microscope I guess and it came back negative. The vet seemed very dismissive that it could still be giardia and was saying it’s probably ibd withot any real further testing and decided to do a month long trial period on the steroid. I’m wearing thin with my cat being sick and cleaning up poop all the time. I’m just desperate and anxious because all I want for her is to be healthy again.....it’s taking a massive toll on me and it has to be on my cat too. I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or experience? Anyone think I should get a second opinion at this point? I’m leaning towards this because I feel this vet may not be cutting it.